The most direct solution for a definite integral

I'll try and do better next time!In summary, the integral \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{9 - 8sin^2x} dx can be solved by using the substitution t = tanx and then substituting \cos^2x=\frac{1}{1+\tan^2x}. This simplifies the integral to \int^{\sqrt 3}_{0} \frac{1}{t^2 +9} dt which can be solved using the substitution t = 3tanθ. The resulting integral is a basic integral and can be solved easily, giving the final answer of \frac{\pi}{18}\int^{\frac{\pi}{3
Appleton
Hi, I'm wondering if I have the most direct solution for this integral or if there is a more efficient way of solving this. I haven't seen a double substitution deployed on one of these problems yet, so I thought perhaps this was not necessary.

Homework Statement

Using the substitution t = tan x, or otherwise, evaluate:
[itex]\int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{9 - 8sin^2x} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{1 + 8cos^2x} dx[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{4cos2x + 5} dx[/itex]

[itex]let\ t = tanx[/itex]

[itex]cos2x = \frac{1 - t^2}{1 + t^2}[/itex] (trig identity)

[itex]so \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{4cos2x + 5} dx[/itex] [itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{4(\frac{1 - t^2}{1 + t^2}) + 5} dx[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1 + t^2}{t^2 +9} dx[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{sec^2x}{tan^2x +9} dx[/itex]

[itex] t = tanx → dt = sec^2x\ dx[/itex]

[itex]so \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{sec^2x}{tan^2x + 9} dx[/itex] [itex]= \int^{\sqrt 3}_{0} \frac{1}{t^2 +9} dt[/itex]

[itex]let\ t = 3tanθ[/itex] [itex]so\ dt = 3sec^2θ\ dθ[/itex]

[itex]so \int^{\sqrt 3}_{0} \frac{1}{t^2 +9} dt[/itex] [itex]= \int^{atan\frac{1}{\sqrt 3}}_{0} \frac{3sec^2θ}{9tan^2θ +9} dθ[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{π/6}_{0} \frac{3sec^2θ}{9sec^2θ} dθ[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{π/6}_{0} \frac{3}{9} dθ[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{π}{18}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{4cos2x + 5} dx[/itex]

[itex]let\ t = tanx[/itex]

[itex]cos2x = \frac{1 - t^2}{1 + t^2}[/itex] (trig identity)

[itex]so \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{4cos2x + 5} dx[/itex] [itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{4(\frac{1 - t^2}{1 + t^2}) + 5} dx[/itex]

[itex]= \int^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{0} \frac{1 + t^2}{t^2 +9} dx[/itex]

I haven't checked your entire work ,but what was quite evident is as follows-

You could have avoided the second substitution by properly performing the first substitution and changing the limits .When you changed the variable from 'x' to 't' ,you should also change the limits .When the variable is 'x' ,the limits correspond to 'x' .When the variable is 't' ,the limits should correspond to 't' .

Since t=tanx ,dt = sec2xdx or dx = dt/1+t2

When x=0 →t=0 and when x=π/3 → t = √3

The item in red should have been written as [itex]= \int^{\sqrt{3}}_{0} \frac{1}{t^2 +9} dt[/itex]

You will find this integral quite easy to handle without making further substitutions.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
You result is correct, but you overcomplicated the integration.

Appleton said:
Hi, I'm wondering if I have the most direct solution for this integral or if there is a more efficient way of solving this. I haven't seen a double substitution deployed on one of these problems yet, so I thought perhaps this was not necessary.

Homework Statement

Using the substitution t = tan x, or otherwise, evaluate:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

very good... Substitute [itex]\cos^2x=\frac{1}{1+\tan^2x}[/itex]

and then use the substitution

[itex]let\ t = tanx[/itex] x=arctan(t), [itex]dx=\frac{1}{1+t^2}dt[/itex]. You directly arrive at

Appleton said:
[itex]= \int^{\sqrt 3}_{0} \frac{1}{t^2 +9} dt[/itex]

You can write the integral in form [itex]= \frac{1}{9}\int^{\sqrt 3}_{0} \frac{1}{\left(\frac{t}{3}\right)^2 +1} dt[/itex] which is a basic integral - do you recognize it?
∫(1/(1+x2)dx=arctan(x)

Edit: Oh, Tania beat me:smile:

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for your helpful comments, I can see I need to familiarize myself more thoroughly with some of these basic integrals.

Related to The most direct solution for a definite integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a specific interval. It is used to calculate the total value of a function within a given range.

2. How do you solve a definite integral?

The most direct solution for a definite integral involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general expression that includes a constant.

4. Can all definite integrals be solved using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

No, some definite integrals may require advanced techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to solve them.

5. How can definite integrals be applied in real-world situations?

Definite integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate quantities such as area, volume, work, and displacement. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values.