The movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table.

In summary: The same principle applies to the air hockey pucks, except in this case, they are not being dropped, but rather sliding on a surface. In summary, if an air hockey table is turned on and one end is elevated, a heavier puck will reach the end faster than a lighter puck due to its aerodynamic properties. This principle applies to objects falling in a vacuum as well, where all objects fall at the same rate but heavier objects appear to fall faster due to their aerodynamic abilities.
Drew777
If an air hockey table is turned on and one end is elevated so the hockey puck slides to the other end freely. Would it take longer for a heavier puck to reach the end of the table before a lighter puck or vice versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
apparently heavier objects reach the ground faster than light objects assuming no air resistance
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=39234
MacM, I have to admit I don't really understand the last paragraph of your post.

I will use the two forumlas you have given to show that 'closure time' will be shorter for objects of greater mass.

For simplicities sake, let's make up the constants so they are easier to work with:
Earth = 100kg
Bowling ball = 10kg
Soccer ball = 1 kg
Distance (r) = 1m
G = 1 (instead of 6.6742 × 10^−11)

So we have our made up world, Nonceworld.

Force = G. m1.m2 / r^2

Bowling Ball

Force = 1 . 100 . 10 / 1 = 1000 Noncicles of force

F = ma, so a = 1000/10 = 100 m/s^2

Soccer Ball

Force = 1 . 100 . 1 / 1 = 100 Noncicles of force

F = ma, so a = 100/1 = 100 m/s^2

So they accelerate at the same rate towards earth

THE EARTH

OK, this bad boy when placed a metre away from the BB
F = ma, so a = 1000/100 = 10 m/s^2

and from the SB
F = ma, so a = 100/100 = 1 m/s^2

So the Earth accelerates towards the BB faster than towards the SB.

And so the heavier object lands first.

This is Nonceworld, so the figures will be different in the real world but only in scale. And if the objects were dropped at the same time, they would both land at the same time, it's only if dropped seperately that this happens.
Last edited by Blue_UK; 08-03-04 at 08:05 AM..

quietrain said:
apparently heavier objects reach the ground faster than light objects assuming no air resistance
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=39234

Was this meant for another thread?

er it should be the same principle right? unless the air hockey is not free fall :(

its been ages since i last touched one.

quietrain said:
er it should be the same principle right? unless the air hockey is not free fall :(

its been ages since i last touched one.

Sorry. I was actually referring to the quote you put into the thread. It sounded like it was for someone else. I see why you posted it as an example though.

i don't know about recent agreements , but apparently the agreement is that in vacuum(no air resistance), all objects fall at the same rate

but in the quote i put above, the Earth seems to prefer heavier objects and so heavy= fall faster

Drew777 said:
If an air hockey table is turned on and one end is elevated so the hockey puck slides to the other end freely. Would it take longer for a heavier puck to reach the end of the table before a lighter puck or vice versa?

It depends on the size and shape of the pucks. If they are the exact same size and shape, but one is heavier, then it will reach the end faster. The reason is because it will be more aerodynamic relative to its mass.

You can think of it similar to a dropping a bowling ball and a playground ball of the same size and shape, at the same time. The bowling ball will hit the ground first because it cuts through the air better.

FAQ: The movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table.

What factors affect the movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table?

The movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table is affected by several factors, such as the velocity and direction of the air flow, the smoothness of the table surface, and the weight and design of the puck itself.

How does the velocity of the air flow impact the movement of the hockey puck?

The velocity of the air flow plays a crucial role in the movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table. The faster the air flow, the more force is exerted on the puck, causing it to move at a higher speed. This is why professional air hockey tables have powerful air blowers to create a strong and consistent air flow.

Why is the smoothness of the table surface important for the movement of hockey pucks?

The smoothness of the table surface is important because it affects the friction between the puck and the table. A smooth surface reduces friction and allows the puck to glide more easily, resulting in faster and smoother movements.

How does the weight and design of the puck impact its movement on an air hockey table?

The weight and design of the puck can greatly influence its movement on an air hockey table. Lighter pucks will be more easily affected by the air flow and may move faster, while heavier pucks will require more force to be moved. The shape and design of the puck can also affect its aerodynamics and how it interacts with the air flow.

What role does the air pressure inside the table play in the movement of hockey pucks?

The air pressure inside the table is responsible for creating the cushion of air that allows the puck to glide smoothly. If the pressure is too low, the puck may not move as fast, while if it is too high, the puck may bounce too much and be difficult to control. Maintaining the correct air pressure is crucial for optimal movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table.

Back