The Multiverse: A New Perspective on Our Existence

• Thread starter Garth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiverse
In summary, Schonborn argues that the lack of testable predictions from string theory suggests that the field should put the big picture aside and focus on smaller pieces of the puzzle. He also argues that the field is promoted with public money and has persuaded a generation of researchers to work in a field with little success.
Garth
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/abs/0511/0511037 by Steven Weinberg

In the Austin airport on the way to this meeting I noticed for sale the October issue of a magazine called Astronomy, having on the cover the headline “Why You Live in Multiple Universes.” Inside I found a report of a discussion at a conference at Stanford, at which Martin Rees said that he was sufficiently confident about the multiverse to bet his dog’s life on it, while Andrei Linde said he would bet his own life. As for me, I have just enough confidence about the multiverse to bet the lives of both Andrei Linde and Martin Rees’s dog.

My thoughts exactly - well I'm not so sure I'll bet the dog!

Show me one and I'll believe you.

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kinda wrecks the entire concept of a 'universe' when you admit to more than one of them.

Garth said:
Show me one and I'll believe you.

I don’t think anyone’s forcing you to believe in multiple universes, many physicists seem to be working on a variety of different cosmological models, the multiverse paradigm seems to be one a lot of physicists and cosmologists think deserves their time perusing.

What’s more the same could be said of strings in string theory, “show me one and I’ll believe you”, hasn’t stop string theorists perusing this field of physics for the last 30 years.

Vast said:
What’s more the same could be said of strings in string theory, “show me one and I’ll believe you”, hasn’t stop string theorists perusing this field of physics for the last 30 years.
Yes, and 30 years of little success I think. Even the "Grand Proponent", Brian Greene, spends a significant portion of his books appologizing, in effect, for the fact that it will probably never be "testable" and for having to use math of probabilities and infinities. But, those Calabi-Yau Loops make neat graphics in the books...:biggrin:

Labguy said:
Yes, and 30 years of little success I think. Even the "Grand Proponent", Brian Greene, spends a significant portion of his books appologizing, in effect, for the fact that it will probably never be "testable" and for having to use math of probabilities and infinities.

The other major issue with string theory, apart from lacking testable predictions, is that it’s promoted with public money and has persuaded a generation of researchers to work in a field of physics which has had very little success.

“Now, at the beginning of the 21st century, faced with scientific
claims like neo-Darwinism and the multiverse hypothesis in
cosmology invented to avoid the overwhelming evidence for pur-
pose and design found in modern science, the Catholic Church
will again defend human nature by proclaiming that the immanent
design evident in nature is real. Scientific theories that try
to explain away the appearance of design as the result of ‘chance
and necessity’ are not scientific at all, but, as John Paul put it,
an abdication of human intelligence.”

What?! Overwhelming evidence for purpose and design? That’s a rather strong statement, I’d say similar to those of ID proponents. Seriously, the Catholic church is just as anti-science as the Evangelical Christian fundamentalists, only they hide it a little better. If it’s not Neo-Darwinism, it’s now Anthropic arguments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/o...ml?ex=1131253200&en=c74a3e861a3079ae&ei=5070" the New York Times op-ed article by Christoph Schonborn, Cardinal
Archbishop of Vienna.

Last edited by a moderator:
The maddening difficulty in obtaining testable predictions from ST suggests, at least to me, it might be a good idea to put the big picture aside for now and concentrate on fitting smaller pieces of the puzzle together.

Chronos said:
The maddening difficulty in obtaining testable predictions from ST suggests

I'm not sure I like having the same acronym as string theory. :-p

FAQ: The Multiverse: A New Perspective on Our Existence

What is the concept of the Multiverse?

The Multiverse is a hypothetical concept in which there are multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. It is based on the idea that our universe may not be the only one and that there may be an infinite number of parallel universes existing alongside our own.

How do scientists study the Multiverse?

Scientists study the Multiverse through theoretical physics and mathematical models. They use principles from quantum mechanics and cosmology to explore the possibility of multiple universes and study their potential properties.

What evidence supports the existence of the Multiverse?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of the Multiverse. However, some theories, such as inflationary cosmology, suggest that the Multiverse may explain certain observations in our universe, such as the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Could we ever travel to another universe in the Multiverse?

At this time, there is no known way to travel to another universe in the Multiverse. The distance between universes is thought to be vast and the laws of physics may differ, making it nearly impossible for us to physically travel to another universe.

What are the implications of the Multiverse for the future of science and humanity?

The concept of the Multiverse has sparked much debate and speculation among scientists. If proven to be true, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies. It may also raise philosophical and ethical questions about the nature of reality and our place in the universe.