What Is the Purpose of the 2skew Function in Barbic's Paper?

• Thread starter datahead8888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the paper discusses a method for computing the Jacobian for deformable tetrahedra using a rotation matrix. The 2skew function is used to efficiently calculate the skew symmetric matrix of the rotation matrix, which is necessary for calculating the Jacobian. A skew symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements below the main diagonal are the negative of the corresponding elements above the main diagonal. This function is important for simplifying the computation process.
datahead8888
Hello,

Background:
I was going to implement an implicit approach to 3d tetrahedra deformations (first in Matlab then in C++).
I need the Jacobian for the partial derivative of force wrt position to do this.
I found this paper that gives a method for computing it:
http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~jbarbic/BarbicExactCorotationalFEMStiffnessMatrix.pdf

The Question:
In the report, he defines a 2skew function (to the right of the page). I'm pretty confused on what it means. I think I forgot what skew means from linear algebra - that's probably part of my problem. It sounds like skew symmetric means that a negated matrix is equal to its transpose. What exactly is this 2skew function for?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings and question. The 2skew function mentioned in the paper is used to compute the skew symmetric matrix of a given matrix. In linear algebra, a skew symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements below the main diagonal are the negative of the corresponding elements above the main diagonal. This means that a skew symmetric matrix is equal to its own transpose multiplied by -1.

The 2skew function is used in the paper to compute the skew symmetric matrix of the rotation matrix. This is important because the rotation matrix is used to calculate the Jacobian in the deformable tetrahedra model. By using the 2skew function, the authors are able to efficiently calculate the Jacobian without having to manually compute the skew symmetric matrix.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the use of the 2skew function in the paper. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your implementation!

FAQ: What Is the Purpose of the 2skew Function in Barbic's Paper?

1. What is the 2skew function?

The 2skew function is a mathematical function that takes in two variables and returns a value based on a specific formula. It is a mysterious function because its exact use and purpose are unknown.

2. How is the 2skew function different from other mathematical functions?

The 2skew function is different from other mathematical functions in that it has a unique formula and does not have a specific real-world application like other functions, such as the sine or cosine function.

3. Can the 2skew function be graphed?

Yes, the 2skew function can be graphed using a graphing calculator or software. However, the resulting graph may not provide any useful information due to the mysterious nature of the function.

4. Is there any research or theories on the origin and purpose of the 2skew function?

There is currently no known research or theories on the origin and purpose of the 2skew function. It remains a mystery in the field of mathematics.

5. Are there any practical uses for the 2skew function?

As of now, there are no known practical uses for the 2skew function. However, it is possible that in the future, further research and discoveries may reveal its potential applications.

Back