The Mystery of Star Formation: Why Do Gas Clouds Collapse?

In summary, Labguy described how stars form from gas clouds, and how a density contrast is necessary for the collapse of the cloud to start. He also said that the trigger for this collapse is unknown, and that individual molecules don't just jiggle away forever. The Orion nebula is an example of a region with high density contrast that has resulted in the formation of stars.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
stars are formed from gas clouds, these gas clouds posses
potential energy and kinematic energy, they may also exhibit
a density contrast, theory tells us that collapse of the gas
cloud starts when PE overcomes KE, but i can find no explanation
for the trigger to this collapse ,put another way, why don't the
individual molecules just jiggle away for ever?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
wolram said:
It usually takes a shock wave or some kind of "pertubation event" to cause at least a "density contrast" (higher) enough for the big G to start a matter accumulation that is stronger than the gases' energy to jiggle away. That would be for the first stars formed, since second + generation stars form from gas clouds plus a considerable amount of heavier elements, sometimes just in the form of dust and sometimes in multi-billion ton clumps of any heavy elements that might be lingering around from the death of the first generation star(s). Short version.

The phenomena Labguy described is going on all over the universe, but one example which pops into my head is the Orion nebula. Presumably, there was a large supernova in that vicinity several million (billion?) years ago, and now it is a hotbed for star formation.

wolram said:
Excellent question!

In addition to Labguy's and enigma's answers, wrt the very early years after matter and radiation decoupled (i.e. the time after the CMB was set free). There were density contrasts (as you say), of total matter (ordinary mass, in this case H and He, PLUS dark matter), left over from the time of inflation. Gravity ensured that, on balance, matter was attracted to regions of higher-than-surroundings density. The dark matter speeded up, passed the region peak density, and shot right on out again (dark matter doesn't collide with itself, or ordinary matter). However the H and He atoms did collide, and in so doing got 'excited' (electrons raised to higher energy levels, atoms got ionised), then 'relaxed' by emitting light (well, some of it was radio waves, IR, UV, ...). The light carried away energy, so the H and He gas 'cooled', and exited the region of peak density slower than the atoms went in. All 'on average', of course, and over-simplified (but not, I hope, too oversimplified).

most enlightening, for once i have an unambiguous picture of an event
that i could not fathom, thank you kind lady and gentlemen.

Related to The Mystery of Star Formation: Why Do Gas Clouds Collapse?

1. What is star formation and why is it important?

Star formation is the process by which dense gas clouds collapse and form into stars. It is important because stars are the building blocks of galaxies and play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe.

2. How do gas clouds collapse to form stars?

Gas clouds collapse due to gravity and pressure. As the cloud gets denser, the force of gravity becomes stronger, causing the cloud to collapse in on itself. This collapse increases the pressure and temperature at the center of the cloud, eventually leading to the ignition of nuclear fusion and the formation of a star.

3. What factors influence the collapse of gas clouds?

The collapse of gas clouds is influenced by several factors such as the mass and density of the cloud, the presence of nearby stars or supernovae, and the overall structure of the galaxy. These factors can affect the rate of collapse and the final size and type of star that is formed.

4. How do scientists study star formation?

Scientists study star formation through various methods such as observing gas clouds and their movements, analyzing the chemical compositions of the clouds, and using computer simulations to model the collapse and evolution of gas clouds. They also use telescopes to observe young stars and their surroundings to gain a better understanding of the process.

5. What are the potential implications of understanding star formation?

Understanding star formation can help us gain a better understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies. It can also provide insights into the formation of our own solar system and the conditions that allow for the development and sustainability of life. Additionally, studying star formation can also aid in our search for other habitable planets and potential extraterrestrial life.