The Mystery of WASP-18b: Uncovering the Mass and Rotation of Its Mother Star

• Thread starter Bjarne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, according to the article, WASP-18b has a mass of 1.2 solar masses and is a sun-like star. However, the star does not have an official designation and there is no evidence that it exists. It is possible that this is the mystery planet that has been sought by scientists.
Bjarne
Does someone know the mass of the mother star WASP-18b is circling around as well as the rotation speed?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The only mass i could find for it was "roughly 10 times the mass of jupiter" from this article (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/55066637.html ).

As for rotation speed, the only thing i saw is that it rotates inward and has an orbit time of around 22.5 hours.

EDIT: oops. didn't see mother star. facts above are for WASP-18b, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bjarne said:
Does someone know the mass of the mother star WASP-18b is circling around as well as the rotation speed?

Given the period of WASP-18b, and its distance (~.02 AU), I come up with a mass for the star of 1.2 solar masses, which agrees with the articles which say that it is a sun-like star.

Janus said:
Given the period of WASP-18b, and its distance (~.02 AU), I come up with a mass for the star of 1.2 solar masses, which agrees with the articles which say that it is a sun-like star.

I just hear 1.25 times that of the Sun, so Janus you are very close.
And I hear one rotation: 5.6 days

How can the tide effect on that planet be calculted?.
(I have read that it is so strong what we expect the planet will be be 28 seconds faster in the next decade.)

NASA does not list a star with exoplanets with the designation WASP-18:
http://nsted.ipac.caltech.edu/index.html

Nor was there an exoplanet that came to light in 2006 with a mass of ten Jupiters.
http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/atlas/atlas_search.cfm?&Sort=DiscDate&SortDir=DESC

or that has the designation WASP-18b.
So you have a story about an unknown exoplanet that orbits a star that doesn't exist.
Maybe that is the mystery?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The Mystery of WASP-18b: Uncovering the Mass and Rotation of Its Mother Star

1. What is WASP-18b and why is it considered a mystery?

WASP-18b is an exoplanet (a planet outside of our solar system) that was discovered in 2009. It is considered a mystery because of its unusual characteristics, such as its proximity to its parent star and its extremely hot temperature.

2. How was the mass and rotation of the mother star of WASP-18b determined?

The mass and rotation of the mother star of WASP-18b was determined through a technique called radial velocity, which measures the slight changes in the star's light wavelength caused by the gravitational pull of the orbiting planet. This data can then be used to calculate the mass and rotation of the star.

3. Why is understanding the mass and rotation of the mother star important in studying WASP-18b?

Understanding the mass and rotation of the mother star is important because it provides valuable information about the formation and evolution of both the star and the planet. It can also help scientists determine the planet's orbital characteristics and potential habitability.

4. How does the extreme temperature of WASP-18b affect its atmosphere?

The extreme temperature of WASP-18b, which is estimated to be around 2,700 degrees Celsius, causes its atmosphere to expand and escape into space. This results in the planet having a very thin and tenuous atmosphere compared to other exoplanets.

5. What are some potential future studies that could further our understanding of WASP-18b?

Some potential future studies that could further our understanding of WASP-18b include using the James Webb Space Telescope to study the planet's atmosphere in more detail, and using simulations and models to better understand its formation and evolution. Additionally, continued observations and data collection of the planet and its parent star can help further our understanding of this mysterious exoplanet.