The nature of quantum interference

In summary, the authors of this paper verified the commutation relation for Pauli spin operators using single-photon quantum interference.
Mentz114
QT would be easier for me to cope with if the interference and diffraction observed experimentally with microscopic objects could be explained entirely by the commutation relations of observables and not by invoking wave properties.

This comes down to the question - if we measure two non-commuting observables nearly simultaneously will the result be subject to interference ? Obviously the answer depends on other things unspecified in this simplification.

For example in the two slit experiment when the particle goes through a slit there is a position measurement with an indeterminacy of at least the distance between the slits. When the particle hits the screen and makes a mark, we have momentum information in x and y ( x being the direction of motion initially ). Do the 'indeterminacy relations' ( as Ballentine puts it) mean that there will be no-go regions of space which will give the dark and light bands characteristic of interference ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general it does not matter if you measure things nearly simultaneously or with more time in between.
Mentz114 said:
When the particle hits the screen and makes a mark, we have momentum information in x and y ( x being the direction of motion initially ).
If you have a setup where you can measure y precisely enough to distinguish between the two slits, you don't get an interference pattern any more.
Mentz114 said:
Do the 'indeterminacy relations' ( as Ballentine puts it) mean that there will be no-go regions of space which will give the dark and light bands characteristic of interference ?
That is the typical double-slit result, yes.

Likes Mentz114
mfb said:
In general it does not matter if you measure things nearly simultaneously or with more time in between.
If you have a setup where you can measure y precisely enough to distinguish between the two slits, you don't get an interference pattern any more.
That is certainly what I would expect. Do you have a reference to any equations ? I'm thinking of wave functions overlapping (in phase space, obviously) and interfering in the overlap region. If the indeterminacy is small enough there is no overlap.
That is the typical double-slit result, yes.
I presume you're being (gently) ironic.

Mentz114 said:
Do you have a reference to any equations ?
They depend on what exactly you are considering.
Mentz114 said:
I presume you're being (gently) ironic.
It was not meant ironic.

mfb said:
They depend on what exactly you are considering.It was not meant ironic.
You have not objected to my hypotheseis in the position/momentum case so I will pursue the idea. I have found a paper (which I have yet to read) where the authors use photon interference to verify spin commutation relations (su(2) ?) and I will attempt to use it in another case I'm interested in.

Experimental verification of the commutation relation for Pauli spin operators using single-photon quantum interference
Yong-Su Kim, Hyang-Tag Lim, Young-Sik Ra, Yoon-Ho Kim
Physics Letters A
Volume 374, Issue 43, 27 September 2010, Pages 4393-4396

and

arXiv:1002.3219v2 [quant-ph] 17 Sep 2010

Related to The nature of quantum interference

1. What is quantum interference?

Quantum interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more quantum particles interact in such a way that their probability amplitudes combine and interfere with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference.

2. How does quantum interference differ from classical interference?

Quantum interference differs from classical interference in that it involves the probability amplitudes of quantum particles, which can be in a superposition of states, rather than the physical amplitudes of classical waves. This leads to unique behaviors such as entanglement and superposition.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum interference?

Some real-world applications of quantum interference include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. Quantum interference also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials, which is important for developing new technologies such as transistors and solar cells.

4. Can quantum interference be observed on a large scale?

No, quantum interference is a phenomenon that is typically observed on a very small scale, at the level of individual particles. This is due to the delicate nature of quantum systems and the difficulty in maintaining their coherence over larger distances or timescales.

5. What are some current challenges in studying the nature of quantum interference?

Some current challenges in studying the nature of quantum interference include developing better methods for controlling and manipulating quantum systems, as well as understanding and mitigating the effects of decoherence, which can disrupt the interference patterns. Additionally, there is still much to be discovered about the fundamental principles and mechanisms behind quantum interference.