The nature of time. Which books to read?

In summary: How does the observer become involved in this collapse?The observer is not involved in the collapse. The collapse is a property of the wave function.
Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
After all, more than 1/2 of the general population doesn't even know that the Earth revolves around the sun...

Zz.

What?? Where did you hear THAT? Certainly cannot be the "general population" of the United States.

RetardedBastard said:
What?? Where did you hear THAT? Certainly cannot be the "general population" of the United States.

It is. I think I linked to the survey already in one of my earlier posts somewhere on PF, but I'll try to look for it again.

There were several other questions in that survey that tests the science literacy (or illiteracy) of the general population. It was very disheartening to read the result.

Zz.

I heard that more than 90% of Harvard students thought the seasons were caused by the Earth getting closer to and farther away from the sun... but 1/2 of the general population not knowing that the Earth revolves around the sun?!? I don't believe it... do they think the sun revolves around the Earth or something... or were they too dumb to understand the question in the first place

ZapperZ said:
It is. I think I linked to the survey already in one of my earlier posts somewhere on PF, but I'll try to look for it again.

There were several other questions in that survey that tests the science literacy (or illiteracy) of the general population. It was very disheartening to read the result.

Zz.

I just did a search on here and one on google using "site:physicsforums.com" and using various combination of the words zapperz, science, literacy, survey, and I did not find a thread about half the population not knowing that the Earth revolves around the sun. If you could help me out, I would really love to see the results of this survey.

ps. Doing a search on this site was agonizingly slow and the results were not accurate so you may want to try using a search engine to search this site instead (in case you didn't already know).

Last edited:
RetardedBastard said:
I just did a search on here and one on google using "site:physicsforums.com" and using various combination of the words zapperz, science, literacy, survey, and I did not find a thread about half the population not knowing that the Earth revolves around the sun. If you could help me out, I would really love to see the results of this survey.

ps. Doing a search on this site was agonizingly slow and the results were not accurate so you may want to try using a search engine to search this site instead (in case you didn't already know).

I know. I've been trying to find the thread where I posted the source and I too haven't found it. So I'm digging elsewhere.

I'm also having doubts that I recalled this correctly.

Zz.