The necessity of time-dependence in making approximations of the H2+ molecule

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary: I think there is one called "Molekule".In summary, the conversation discusses a project in which the speaker is attempting to model electron tunneling in the H_2^+ ion using Fortran. The speaker initially believed the situation could be simplified to a double well potential problem, but upon examining the wavefunctions involved, realized it may be more complicated. The conversation then delves into the various methods that could be used to properly describe the system and offers suggestions for literature and topics of relevance.
IHateMayonnaise
I am currently undergoing a project for my undergraduate course in Quantum Physics on electron tunneling in the [tex]H_2^+[/tex] ion. Essentially, I am trying to model this situation in Fortran based on the variables that the user supplies (For example, the energy levels of the atoms, the separation distance, etc..). An illustration of my goal is examined at http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtut/bonding/TunnelBond.html" . At first glance it seems this situation boils down to nothing more than a fancy double well potential problem - however upon beginning to draw out the wavefunctions for the various regions involved I find that I may have been mistaken.

For normal potential-well situations, we have nice and neat wavefunctions that take the form (for instance):

[tex]\Psi_(x)=Ae^{Kx}+B_Ie^{-Kx}[/tex]

where

[tex]K^2=\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

HOWEVER, since I am concerning myself with a Hydrogenic molecule - the wave function takes the form:

[tex]\Psi_{nlm}(r,\theta,\phi)=\left(\sqrt{\left(\frac{2}{na_o}\right)^3\frac{(n-l-1)!}{2n[(n+l)!]^3}}\right)e^{\frac{-r}{na_0}}\left(\frac{2r}{na_0}\right)^lL_{n-l-1}^{2l+1}\left(\frac{2r}{na_0}\right)Y_l^{m_l}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

So, before I can get anywhere I need to modify this wavefunction to properly describe my system. But, as you will notice (as I surly did), that the hydrogen wavefunction does not explicitly include a value for the energy, as the previous wavefunction does. This leads me to believe that I may have to delve into various time-dependent perturbation methods of the Schrodinger equation - which my introductory coursebook offers little insight into. Since this seems like it would be a fairly common computational endevour, and the community here are extremely experienced, I was wondering if anybody could offer some insight as to how to get me started on this project (literature, specific topics of relevance, etc..). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

IHateMayonnaise

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you act the Hamiltonian on that wavefunction? Is it an eigenvector? What's the eigenvalue?

IHateMayonnaise said:
At first glance it seems this situation boils down to nothing more than a fancy double well potential problem - however upon beginning to draw out the wavefunctions for the various regions involved I find that I may have been mistaken.
If your program expects a fixed distance between the protons as an input, then yes, this basically is just a double well problem. More over, the site you linked to, and the phrasing used there (tunnelling between the wells) would suggest you can best make this comparision by viewing the problem as a double well.

IHateMayonnaise said:
For normal potential-well situations, we have nice and neat wavefunctions that take the form (for instance):

[tex]\Psi_(x)=Ae^{Kx}+B_Ie^{-Kx}[/tex]

where

[tex]K^2=\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
That wave function describes a free particle. So you are either misunderstanding something here, or you need to explain it a bit more for us to understand what you mean here.

IHateMayonnaise said:
HOWEVER, since I am concerning myself with a Hydrogenic molecule - the wave function takes the form:

[tex]\Psi_{nlm}(r,\theta,\phi)=\left(\sqrt{\left(\frac{2}{na_o}\right)^3\frac{(n-l-1)!}{2n[(n+l)!]^3}}\right)e^{\frac{-r}{na_0}}\left(\frac{2r}{na_0}\right)^lL_{n-l-1}^{2l+1}\left(\frac{2r}{na_0}\right)Y_l^{m_l}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]
That's the wavefunction for energy levels of a hydrogen atom. Not the molecule.

IHateMayonnaise said:
So, before I can get anywhere I need to modify this wavefunction to properly describe my system. But, as you will notice (as I surly did), that the hydrogen wavefunction does not explicitly include a value for the energy, as the previous wavefunction does.
The energy is related to the quantum number n you used in that equation. Your book should derive this relation when it derived the wavefunction above (or at least presents these relations somewhere).

IHateMayonnaise said:
This leads me to believe that I may have to delve into various time-dependent perturbation methods of the Schrodinger equation - which my introductory coursebook offers little insight into.
If the external potential is constant (your program takes as a parameter a constant distance between the protons), then no time-dependant analysis is necessary to get the wave function of the various energy levels.

IHateMayonnaise said:
Since this seems like it would be a fairly common computational endevour, and the community here are extremely experienced, I was wondering if anybody could offer some insight as to how to get me started on this project (literature, specific topics of relevance, etc..). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
There are several ways to do this.

If the protons are far appart so that the electron has to actually tunnel to get across the "barrier" between the protons, then as a first approximation, let's look at the tunelling as a "perturbation".

I will use as a (truncated) basis, the ground state wavefunction of the electron if proton 1 was the only proton (so the wavefunction is centered on proton 1) and the ground state wavefunction of the electron if only proton 2 existed (so the wavefunction is centered on proton 2).

In the limit the protons are really far appart, the energy should be the same as if it was just a hydrogen atom. So the Hamiltonian in this basis would be:
[tex]H = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
E_0 & 0 \\
0 & E_0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]
Where E_0 is the ground state energy of the hydrogen.

Now bring them closer, and we'll start to have a tunnelling term:
[tex]H = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
E_0 & t \\
t & E_0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

You can diagonalize this to get the new energy states, and eigen vectors.
The matrix element t of course can be calculated by hand by doing the integral [tex]t = \langle \Psi_1 | H | \Psi_2 \rangle = \int \Psi_1^*(\vec{r}) \hat{H} \Psi_2(\vec{r}) dx \ dy \ dz [/tex] Where [itex]\Psi_1(\vec{r})[/itex] is the first basis function (the hydrogen ground state centered on proton one), and similarly for the second basis function.

As the protons get closer, this gross first approximation will get worse. Another method uses the fact that no wavefunction can have a lower energy expectation value than the ground state. So we can consider a wavefunction built of many linearly independent pieces, and vary the coefficients in front of each piece in order to minimize the energy. This is called the variational method.

In the limit that we consider a complete basis set of linearly independent pieces, this method is exact. In practice we usually make some good guesses and use a finite basis set. For example you could use the first couple of hydrogen wavefunctions centered on each proton as a basis set. In fact, people have already wrote programs that will do this calculation for you, and there are nice programs that can display the results as graphs of the electron density or other plots of information regarding the wavefunction.

If you want to go that way, the program I recommend since it is free (you need to click some forms and email someone though), is PC GAMESS.
http://classic.chem.msu.su/gran/gamess/index.html

The input files for that look much more complicated that you really need to know, so if you decide to go that route, let me know and I'll make a simple input file for you, and explain what it means, for you to get started.

Last edited:

Related to The necessity of time-dependence in making approximations of the H2+ molecule

1. What is the H2+ molecule and why is it important in scientific research?

The H2+ molecule is a diatomic molecule consisting of two hydrogen atoms bonded together with a single covalent bond. It is important in scientific research because it is one of the simplest molecules and serves as a model for understanding the electronic structure and chemical bonding of more complex molecules.

2. Why is time-dependence necessary when making approximations of the H2+ molecule?

Time-dependence is necessary because the H2+ molecule is not a static system. The electrons and nuclei are constantly moving and interacting with each other, and their positions and energies change over time. Therefore, a time-dependent approach is needed to accurately describe the behavior of the H2+ molecule.

3. What approximations are typically made when studying the H2+ molecule?

One common approximation is the Born-Oppenheimer approximation, which assumes that the motion of the nuclei is much slower than the motion of the electrons. This allows the problem to be separated into two simpler problems: the motion of the nuclei and the motion of the electrons. Another common approximation is the adiabatic approximation, which assumes that the electronic and nuclear motions are decoupled and can be treated separately.

4. How does time-dependence affect the accuracy of approximations for the H2+ molecule?

Time-dependence can significantly affect the accuracy of approximations for the H2+ molecule. Neglecting the time-dependence can lead to errors in the calculated energies and wavefunctions, especially at high energies where the motion is more rapid. Incorporating time-dependence into the approximations can improve the accuracy of the calculations and provide a more complete understanding of the H2+ molecule.

5. Are there any limitations to using time-dependent approximations for the H2+ molecule?

Yes, there are limitations to using time-dependent approximations for the H2+ molecule. These approximations are typically more computationally intensive and may not be feasible for larger, more complex molecules. Additionally, they may not accurately describe certain processes, such as non-adiabatic transitions, that involve rapid changes in the electronic and nuclear motions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the limitations of these approximations when studying the H2+ molecule.