The Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation

In summary, the nonlinear Schrödinger equation can be rewritten in the form of equation (2) by normalizing with the given parameters and using the product rule and chain rule to resolve the remaining differentiations. The sign of the GVD parameter appears in the final equation due to the use of |β2| in defining LD.
roam
According to my textbook the nonlinear Schrödinger equation:

$$\frac{\partial A(z,T)}{\partial z} = -i \frac{\beta_2}{2} \frac{\partial^2A}{\partial T^2} + i \gamma |A|^2 A \ \ (1)$$

can be cast in the form

$$\frac{\partial U(z,\tau)}{\partial z} = -i \frac{sign \beta_2}{2} \frac{1}{L_D} \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial \tau^2} + i \frac{1}{L_{NL}} |U|^2 U \ \ (2)$$

by normalizing with: ##\tau = \frac{T}{T_0},## and ##A(z,T) = \sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau).##

But my textbook does not show the steps involved, and I can't arrive at equation (2) when I try to do this myself.

So substituting the two parameters into (1) we get

$$\frac{\partial (\sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau))}{\partial z} = -i \frac{\beta_2}{2} \frac{\partial^2(\sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau))}{\partial (\tau T_0)^2} + i \gamma |(\sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau))|^2 (\sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau))$$

We know that the dispersion length is given by ##L_D = \frac{T_0^2}{|\beta_2|}## and the the nonlinear length is ##L_{NL} = \frac{1}{\gamma P_0}.## When substituting these two the expression becomes

$$\frac{\partial (\sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau))}{\partial z} = -i \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{L_D} \frac{\partial^2(\sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau))}{\partial \tau^2} + i \frac{1}{L_{NL}} \sqrt{P_0} P_0 U^2 U.$$

So, what can we do about the extra ##\sqrt{P_0}##'s and the extra ##P_0## (peak power)? What is wrong here?

Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the remaining differentiations using the product rule and chain rule.

Likes roam
roam said:
extra ##P_0##
There is no extra ##P_0##. Check your derivation again.

Likes roam
DrClaude said:
There is no extra ##P_0##. Check your derivation again.

Sorry I meant that we get:

$$\frac{\partial (\boxed{\sqrt{P_0}} U(z, \tau))}{\partial z} = -i \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{L_D} \frac{\partial^2 (\boxed{\sqrt{P_0}} U(z, \tau))}{\partial \tau^2} + i \frac{1}{L_{NL}} \boxed{ \sqrt{P_0}} U^2 U.$$

with the the P0 terms boxed. Do we then need to take the ##\sqrt{P_0}## terms out of the derivation and divide both sides by ##\sqrt{P_0}##? :confused:

Also how do I introduce the "sign β2" expression (sign of the GVD parameter) in there? That is either ##\pm 1## (for the focusing/defocusing case).

A. Neumaier said:
Resolve the remaining differentiations using the product rule and chain rule.

I am not sure what you mean. Are you referring to ##\partial / \partial z \sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau)##, and ##\partial^2 / \partial^2 \tau \sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau)##? Some more explanation would be very helpful.

roam said:
I am not sure what you mean. Are you referring to ∂/∂z√P0U(z,τ)\partial / \partial z \sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau), and ∂2/∂2τ√P0U(z,τ)\partial^2 / \partial^2 \tau \sqrt{P_0} U(z, \tau)? Some more explanation would be very helpful.
I think he meant the product rule.

DrClaude said:
I think he meant the product rule.

But how is the product rule applicable in this case?

roam said:
Do we then need to take the √P0P0\sqrt{P_0} terms out of the derivation and divide both sides by √P0P0\sqrt{P_0}?
Check in your book what ##P_0## is, if it turns out to be a constant then you can take it out from the derivatives.
roam said:
Also how do I introduce the "sign β2" expression (sign of the GVD parameter) in there?
In defining ##L_D##, you use ##|\beta_2|## instead of ##\beta_2##. That explains why ##\textrm{sign }\beta_2## appears in the final equation - for any real number ##N##, you can always write it as ##|N| \textrm{sign }N ##.

Likes roam
Thank you very much for the clarification.

Related to The Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation

1. What is the Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation?

The Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation (NLSE) is a partial differential equation that describes the evolution of certain nonlinear wave phenomena in physics. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger, who first proposed it in 1926.

2. What are some examples of systems described by the NLSE?

The NLSE is used to describe a variety of physical phenomena, including optical solitons, Bose-Einstein condensates, and certain types of water waves. It also has applications in fields such as plasma physics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

3. How is the NLSE different from the standard Schrödinger Equation?

The standard Schrödinger Equation describes the behavior of linear systems, while the NLSE accounts for nonlinearity and allows for the formation of localized waves (solitons). This makes it a more accurate model for certain physical systems that exhibit nonlinear behavior.

4. What is the significance of the NLSE in physics?

The NLSE has been instrumental in understanding and predicting the behavior of various nonlinear wave phenomena, leading to advancements in fields such as optics, condensed matter physics, and fluid dynamics. It also has applications in quantum computing and information theory.

5. Is the NLSE a difficult equation to solve?

While the NLSE can be solved analytically in certain cases, it is generally a difficult equation to solve. Many numerical methods have been developed to approximate solutions, and the NLSE continues to be an active area of research in mathematics and physics.