The number of Helium atoms in the balloon

In summary, the helium atom has a total of 3 degrees of freedom which it can use to move around the balloon. The average kinetic energy of the helium atom in the balloon is 6 kT/2.
jinx007
A balloon contains 0.40 mol of helium at 300K. calculate

1/ The number of Helium atoms in the balloon

2/ The average kinetic energy of the helium atom in the balloon

3/ The total kinetic energy of the helium atoms in the balloon

I am having a lot of difficulties to manage the ideal gas chapter..Please help me to answer these questions. However the question seems easy and this make me worried as i cannot answer these questions.

My attempt (i don't really know if it is correct as i don't have the asnwer)

1/ 1 mol = 6.02 x 10^23 ataoms

0.4 mol = 6.02 x 10 ^23 x 0.4

2/

3/

Physics news on Phys.org
1 is correct

for 2, remember kinetic theory: each degree of freedom makes 1/2 kT available to the energy of each atom.
Kinetic theory is VERY important in thermodynamics, if you don't know where this result comes from, and understand why, you will have trouble later.

3 is combining your answers from 1 and 2.

Can you do it now?

Last edited:
Have you learned about the Equipartition Theorem? In an ideal gas, the molecules move in random, and their average kinetic energy for each degrees of freedom is kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant. Helium is a mono-atomic gas, it has only translational kinetic energy, 1/2 mv2, but has the "freedom to choose" all the three components of the velocity, vx, vy, vz. It is said that the He atom has 3 degrees of freedom. One He atom has 3(kT/2) kinetic energy in average.

If the molecule consists of three or more atoms, like H2O or CH4, rotational kinetic energy (Erot=1/2 Iw^2) can be associated to each degrees of rotational freedom, which are also three. Such molecules have three translational and three rotational degrees of freedom, so their average kinetic energy is 6 (kT/2).

Diatomic or linear molecules like H2 and CO2 also have three independent directions of rotation, but no energy is associated to the rotation around the axis of the molecule as the moment of inertia with respect to this axis is negligible. Therefore the diatomic or linear molecules have 5 (kT/2) kinetic energy in average.

ehild

Related to The number of Helium atoms in the balloon

1. How do you calculate the number of Helium atoms in a balloon?

The number of Helium atoms in a balloon can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law, which states that the number of moles of gas is equal to the volume of the gas divided by the gas constant (R) and temperature (T). This can be further multiplied by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to get the total number of atoms.

2. What factors affect the number of Helium atoms in a balloon?

The number of Helium atoms in a balloon is affected by the volume of the balloon, the temperature, and the pressure. As the volume of the balloon increases, the number of atoms also increases. Similarly, as the temperature and pressure increase, the number of atoms also increases.

3. Is the number of Helium atoms in a balloon constant?

No, the number of Helium atoms in a balloon is not constant. It can change depending on the conditions such as temperature, pressure, and volume. Additionally, some atoms may escape from the balloon over time, causing a decrease in the total number of atoms.

4. How many Helium atoms are usually in a party balloon?

The number of Helium atoms in a party balloon can vary depending on the size of the balloon and the amount of gas added. However, on average, a party balloon can contain around 1.5 x 10^24 Helium atoms.

5. Can the number of Helium atoms in a balloon be measured directly?

No, the number of Helium atoms in a balloon cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law and other factors such as temperature and pressure. However, the number of atoms can be estimated by measuring the mass of the balloon and the known atomic mass of Helium.