The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency of a sound wave reaching a person 1 km away from a 1,200 Hz warning siren during a hurricane. The answer can be found using the formula f = (c+v_r)/(c+v_s) * f_0, with c being the velocity of waves in the medium, v_r being the velocity of the receiver relative to the medium, and v_s being the velocity of the source relative to the medium. The approximate rate of change of the electric field between two square plates of a large parallel-plate capacitor under a charging current of 9 A can be calculated using the formula I = eA/d * dV/dt, where e is the dielectric constant, A
warfreak131

Homework Statement

During a hurricane, a 1,200 Hz warning siren
on the town hall sounds. The wind is blowing
at 55 m/s in a direction from the siren toward
a person 1 km away. With what frequency does
the sound wave reach the person? (The speed of
sound in air is 330 m/s.)

(A) 1,000 Hz
(B) 1,030 Hz
(C) 1,200 Hz
(D) 1,400 Hz
(E) 1,440 Hz

Homework Equations

[tex]f = \left( \frac{c + v_r}{c + v_{s}} \right) f_0 \,[/tex]

C is the velocity of waves in the medium;
Vr is the velocity of the receiver relative to the medium; positive if the receiver is moving towards the source;
Vs is the velocity of the source relative to the medium; positive if the source is moving away from the receiver.

The Attempt at a Solution

Stop me at any point if I'm wrong:

C would be 330 m/s. Vr would be 55, and Vs would be 0?

I try plugging this into the formula, and I always ~1030 Hz, but the answer key (this is from a practice GRE) says that the answer is 1200 Hz. How do they get this answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the receiver and the source are moving at the same velocity with regard to the medium.

Right right right, I just realized that before checking the response here, lol

Okay, what about this one. I have no idea where to start. I know some of the equations for parallel plate capacitors, but none that have current in them.

A large, parallel-plate capacitor consists of two
square plates that measure 0.5 m on each side. A
charging current of 9 A is applied to the capacitor.
Which of the following gives the approximate rate
of change of the electric field between the plates?

Although I know that I = C dV/dt, but the capacitance of the system would rely on how far apart the plates are, which the question doesn't specify.

Actually, C = eA/d, meaning that I = eA/d * dV/dt. The choices are all in V / (m.s) format, so I/eA = 1/d * dV/dt which would be dimensionally correct.

Related to The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave

What is the observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave?

The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave is 1,200 cycles per second. This means that the wave completes 1,200 oscillations in one second.

How is the observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave measured?

The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave can be measured using a frequency meter or an oscilloscope. The frequency meter counts the number of cycles in a given time period, while the oscilloscope displays the wave on a screen and measures its frequency.

What factors can affect the observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave?

The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave can be affected by the medium it travels through, the temperature, and the presence of any obstacles or interference in its path. The speed and direction of the source of the wave can also impact the observed frequency.

What is the relationship between wavelength and observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave?

The wavelength and observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the observed frequency increases, and vice versa.

How does the observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave relate to its energy?

The observed frequency of a 1,200 Hz wave is directly related to its energy. Higher frequencies have higher energy, while lower frequencies have lower energy. This relationship is described by the equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.