The opposite of the limit of light

In summary: But I digress.In summary, the theory of relativity states that as we go faster, time slows down and distance decreases, keeping the speed of light constant in the observer's frame. This means that no matter how much we accelerate, we will always be stationary in our own frame and the speed of light will always be the same. However, this does not prevent us from observing other objects moving at the speed of light in other frames. Energy conservation in non-inertial frames can be more complex, but essentially the energy from thrust goes into the kinetic energy of the exhaust gasses.
Slait
I was thinking about the theory of relativity and how the faster we go the slower time goes and the smaller we become which evens out the equation for speed.

Distance / Time = speed

Correct me if I am wrong but what i see from this is, as we go faster time slows down and distance decreases which keeps the speed of light at a constant to the person in motion. So 1 second in the equation becomes, .9 seconds as we go faster. And as we get up to the speed of light, time becomes 0 and the distance is 0 in the equation. So using this can't we go the other way, and go slower to the point that 1 second is longer and our distance is larger? Maybe even calculate what a truly stationary object would be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Slait said:
I was thinking about the theory of relativity and how the faster we go the slower time goes and the smaller we become which evens out the equation for speed.

Distance / Time = speed

Correct me if I am wrong but what i see from this is, as we go faster time slows down and distance decreases which keeps the speed of light at a constant to the person in motion. So 1 second in the equation becomes, .9 seconds as we go faster. And as we get up to the speed of light, time becomes 0 and the distance is 0 in the equation. So using this can't we go the other way, and go slower to the point that 1 second is longer and our distance is larger? Maybe even calculate what a truly stationary object would be?

No because the time dilation factor (gamma) is dependent on the absolute value of the velocity in our (inertial) frame. It doesn't matter which direction the clocks we are observing are traveling we will still observe them to run slow.

So our clock will always be the fastest? everything else that we observe will be slower? Wouldnt that make us stationary?

Slait said:
Wouldnt that make us stationary?
In our frame, yes, by definition.

So if we are always the slowest moving object from our own frame, wouldn't that mean the speed limit of light only applys to other objects? because no matter how fast we are moving we are always at 0 in comparison to the speed of light.

Slait said:
So if we are always the slowest moving object from our own frame, wouldn't that mean the speed limit of light only applys to other objects? because no matter how fast we are moving we are always at 0 in comparison to the speed of light.
Yes. What? Yes.

How does the middle statement, follow from the first and last statements? (inasmuch as a preceding statement can follow a following statement, if you get my meaning...)

Do you mean why can't we travel at the speed of light?

Well, even if we were traveling at .99999999999999999c, we'd still be stationary in our own frame, so it's not like our being stationary in our own frame is preventing us from traveling at c.

Remember, we can only measure our speed wrt other objects. The trick really is to get our frame moving away from some other frame, such that that other frame is moving away from us at the speed of light. And that we can't do.

That just blows my mind.

Im having trouble putting this and the energy of movement together now. If we arent moving, no matter how much thrust we put into trying to move us, where does that energy go?

Slait said:
wouldnt that mean the speed limit of light only applys to other objects?
In our reference frame, yes. Of course the speed of light limit applies to us in other reference frames.

Slait said:
Im having trouble putting this and the energy of movement together now. If we arent moving, no matter how much thrust we put into trying to move us, where does that energy go?
In this case your frame is not an inertial frame so things like energy conservation require a bit more care. However, essentially the energy goes into the kinetic energy of the exhaust gasses.

Slait said:
That just blows my mind.

If you are using thrust to accelerate, then in any given inertial frame, your speed is changing. Of course if your speed is changing in every inertial frame, then the definition of which frame qualifies as your "inertial rest frame" is changing over time.

FAQ: The opposite of the limit of light

What is "the opposite of the limit of light"?

The opposite of the limit of light refers to the point at which light can no longer travel, also known as the edge of the observable universe.

How far is the opposite of the limit of light?

The opposite of the limit of light is estimated to be approximately 46.5 billion light years away from Earth.

Why is the opposite of the limit of light significant?

The opposite of the limit of light marks the furthest distance that light can travel and gives insight into the size and age of the universe.

What happens at the opposite of the limit of light?

At the opposite of the limit of light, the expansion of the universe causes light to be redshifted to the point of being undetectable, making it impossible for us to see beyond this point.

Will we ever be able to reach the opposite of the limit of light?

At our current technological capabilities, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to reach the opposite of the limit of light due to the vast distance and the limitations of the speed of light.