The Origin of the \hat x Term in Evaluating Double Integrals over Triangles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of double integrals and iterated integrals, specifically in the context of integrating an expression over a triangle. It is mentioned that some authors may not make a distinction between the two, but the double integral is the more general concept. The conversation then moves on to evaluating a specific integral, and the use of the symbol $\hat x$ is questioned. It is clarified that $\hat x$ is related to the three coordinates of the triangle.
bugatti79
Folks,

Self reading a book in which an equation is given as

[tex]I_{mn}\equiv\int_{\Delta} x^m y^n dx dy[/tex]

where we are integrating an expression of the form [tex]x^m y^n[/tex] over an arbirtrary triangle.

Is the above actually a double integral because of the dxdy term? Ie can this be written

[tex]I_{mn}\equiv\int_{\Delta} x^m y^n dx dy= \int \int_{D} x^m y^n dA[/tex] where D is the triangle?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, the $dA$ differential is a double integral, and $dx \, dy$ differentials signify an iterated integral. I think many authors don't make a huge distinction between the two. The double integral is the more general concept - a particular iterated integral is coordinate dependent, usually.

Ackbach said:
Technically, the $dA$ differential is a double integral, and $dx \, dy$ differentials signify an iterated integral. I think many authors don't make a huge distinction between the two. The double integral is the more general concept - a particular iterated integral is coordinate dependent, usually.

Thanks for that.

I have found a nice link - Double integrals as iterated integrals - Math Insight

Cheers

bugatti79 said:
Folks,

Self reading a book in which an equation is given as

[tex]I_{mn}\equiv\int_{\Delta} x^m y^n dx dy[/tex]

where we are integrating an expression of the form [tex]x^m y^n[/tex] over an arbirtrary triangle.

Is the above actually a double integral because of the dxdy term? Ie can this be written

[tex]I_{mn}\equiv\int_{\Delta} x^m y^n dx dy= \int \int_{D} x^m y^n dA[/tex] where D is the triangle?

Thanks

In the book I am reading they evaluate the following integral to be

[tex] \int_{\Delta} x dx dy= A \hat x[/tex] where

[tex]\displaystyle \hat x= \frac{1}{3} \Sigma_{i=1}^3 x_i[/tex] and [tex]A=\int_{\Delta} dx dy=xy[/tex]

Where does [tex]\hat x[/tex] come from? I realize its to do with the 3 coordinates of the triangle...

Related to The Origin of the \hat x Term in Evaluating Double Integrals over Triangles

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves calculating the area under a two-dimensional function. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and is used to find the volume, surface area, and other properties of a three-dimensional object.

2. How is a double integral calculated?

A double integral is calculated by dividing the area under the function into small rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and then adding them all together. This process is known as Riemann sum and is represented by the formula ∫∫f(x,y)dA = limΔx,Δy→0∑∑f(x,y)ΔxΔy.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a one-dimensional function, while a double integral is used to find the area under a two-dimensional function. In other words, a single integral calculates the length of a line, while a double integral calculates the area of a shape.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, and determining the amount of heat transfer in a three-dimensional system. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve complex problems involving multiple variables.

5. What are some common techniques for solving double integrals?

Some common techniques for solving double integrals include using the Fubini's theorem, which allows for the order of integration to be changed, and using symmetry to simplify the integral. Other techniques include using substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also helpful to use visualization and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.