The Orthogonality of Vectors and Matrices

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orthogonality in matrices and vectors. It is clarified that for a matrix to be orthogonal, its columns must be orthonormal. To check for orthonormality, the dot product of each column must be equal to the Kronecker delta.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I wounder if I did understand correct, If we got 3 vector and they all are orthogonala, \(\displaystyle v_1=(x_1,y_1,z_1)\),\(\displaystyle v_2=(x_2,y_2,z_2)\),\(\displaystyle v_3=(x_3,y_3,z_3)\) does that also mean that the matrix orthogonal so the invrese for the matrix is transport?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Close, but not quite. A matrix being orthogonal means that its columns are orthonormal.

Ackbach said:
Close, but not quite. A matrix being orthogonal means that its columns are orthonormal.
How can I check if a columns are orthonormal? If I got it correct if \(\displaystyle v_1,v_2,v_3\) shall be orthonormal that means that \(\displaystyle v_1*v_2*v_3=0\)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Check that $v_{i} \cdot v_{j}=\delta_{ij}$. Here
$$\delta_{ij}=\begin{cases}0,\quad &i \not=j \\ 1,\quad &i=j \end{cases}$$
is the Kronecker delta.

Hello |\pi\rangle,

Yes, you are correct. If three vectors are orthogonal, it means that they are perpendicular to each other. This also means that they are linearly independent, which leads to an orthogonal matrix. An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where all the columns are orthogonal to each other, and the inverse of an orthogonal matrix is equal to its transpose. This is because the transpose of a matrix represents its rotation, and an orthogonal matrix represents a rotation in a 3D space. Therefore, the inverse of an orthogonal matrix is the opposite rotation, which is achieved by transposing the matrix.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of orthogonal vectors and matrices.

Best regards,

FAQ: The Orthogonality of Vectors and Matrices

What is an orthogonal vector/matrix?

An orthogonal vector/matrix is a set of vectors or a matrix in which all the vectors are perpendicular (or orthogonal) to each other. This means that the dot product of any two vectors in the set is equal to zero.

How do you determine if a vector/matrix is orthogonal?

To determine if a vector/matrix is orthogonal, you can calculate the dot product of all the vectors. If the dot product is equal to zero for all combinations of vectors, then the vector/matrix is orthogonal.

What is the significance of orthogonal vectors/matrices in mathematics and science?

Orthogonal vectors/matrices are important in many areas of mathematics and science because they allow for simplified calculations and easier visualization of complex systems. They are also used in applications such as computer graphics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.

Can a vector/matrix be both orthogonal and linearly dependent?

No, a vector/matrix cannot be both orthogonal and linearly dependent. If a set of vectors is orthogonal, it means that they are all perpendicular to each other, which implies linear independence. On the other hand, a set of linearly dependent vectors cannot be orthogonal because they can be written as a linear combination of each other, which means they cannot be perpendicular.

How can orthogonal vectors/matrices be used in data analysis and machine learning?

In data analysis and machine learning, orthogonal vectors/matrices are used for dimensionality reduction. This means that they can help simplify complex datasets, making it easier to analyze and create more accurate models. Orthogonal matrices are also used in algorithms such as Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) to extract important features from data and reduce noise.