The p-slash operator in spherical coordinates

In summary, the p-slash operator in spherical coordinates is a bit more complicated because of the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz boosts. The "r" part gets a minus sign, while the "theta" and "phi" parts stay the same. The gamma matrices also need to be decomposed according to spherical coordinates, but the exact process is not clear.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

You know the p-slash operator in Cartesian coordinates:
[tex]{p_{slash}} = {\gamma _\mu }{p^\mu } = {\gamma _0}{p_0} - \vec \gamma \bullet {\bf{\vec p}}[/tex]

...but what is p-slash operator in spherical coordinates?

Homework Equations

- spherical coordinate transformation
- |x| and t are in reverse-sense, as prescribed by Minkowski metric
-

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution-attempt is at the stage of "brainstorming". Specifically:

Does only the "r" part get a minus sign, and the "t" part stay positive (I'm thinking the Minkowski metric here), while the "theta" and "phi" part stay as-is?

But theta and phi, I remember, get mixed up, somehow, in Lorentz boosts...

Physics news on Phys.org
so how does that affect the p-slash operator?Also: the gamma matrices have to be decomposed according to spherical coordinates... but I'm not sure how.

Related to The p-slash operator in spherical coordinates

1. What is the p-slash operator in spherical coordinates?

The p-slash operator in spherical coordinates is a mathematical operator used to represent the Laplace operator in spherical coordinates. It is denoted by ∂2 / ∂r2 + (2/r) ∂/∂r + (1/r2) ∂2/∂θ2 + (cotθ/r2) ∂/∂θ + (1/r2sin2θ) ∂2/∂φ2.

2. What is the significance of the p-slash operator in spherical coordinates?

The p-slash operator is used to solve partial differential equations in spherical coordinates. It is particularly useful in problems involving spherical symmetry, such as those in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

3. How is the p-slash operator related to the Laplace operator?

The p-slash operator is a representation of the Laplace operator in spherical coordinates. It is derived by converting the Cartesian coordinates in the Laplace operator to spherical coordinates.

4. Can the p-slash operator be applied to any function in spherical coordinates?

Yes, the p-slash operator can be applied to any function that is dependent on the spherical coordinates r, θ, and φ. It is commonly used in problems involving radial symmetry, where the function is only dependent on the radial coordinate r.

5. How is the p-slash operator used in solving problems in physics?

The p-slash operator is used to solve partial differential equations in spherical coordinates, which are commonly encountered in problems in physics. It is particularly useful in problems involving spherical symmetry, such as those in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

Back