The photoelectric effect report

In summary, the conversation discusses the photoelectric effect experiment in which the stopping voltage was measured at different wavelengths of light using filters with varying levels of grating. The resulting data was plotted on a graph to determine experimental values for Planck's constant, threshold frequency, and work function. However, the individual is struggling to draw conclusions from the data and seeks guidance on key points to discuss in their report. Suggestions are given to read about the photoelectric effect and explore deeper understanding of the concept.
5ymmetrica1

Homework Statement

So I recently performed the photoelectric effect experiment in my physics class, where we measured the stopping voltage at different wavelengths of light by using filters with different levels of grating.
I measured the stopping voltage and plotted them on a graph against frequency to gain values for (h) experimental Plancks constant, threshold frequency and the work function

I have come to the point where I need to write a conclusion but I can't think of anything that I have concluded by the use of these formula, which supports my hypothesis.

Homework Equations

f0 = W/h
W = hf0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that as the wavelength of light is changed , it will cause a change in the stopping voltage. But I need a way to explain this in terms of my graphical data, which evaluates the information I recorded by observing the experiment. So far all I can conclude is that a change in the independent variable causes a increase or decrease in the dependent variable which was expected.

I need some more key points which show a deeper understanding of the concept in this experiment and the photoelectric effect.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to what I should be looking for and discussing in this report?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to The photoelectric effect report

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first discovered by German physicist Heinrich Hertz in 1887. However, it was further studied and explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light and supports Einstein's theory of the photon. It also has practical applications in technology, such as solar panels and photoelectric cells.

4. How does the photoelectric effect work?

When a photon of light hits a metal surface, it transfers its energy to an electron, which is then released from the metal. The energy of the photon must be equal to or greater than the work function of the metal for this process to occur.

5. What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy needed to release an electron from the surface of a material. It varies depending on the type of material and can be affected by factors such as temperature and surface conditions.