The Physical Significance of the Second Term in Kirchhoff's Current Law

In summary: So in summary, Kirchhoff's current law is a continuity equation that relates the current in one region to the current in another region via the displacement currents. The second term in the equation is the displacement current, which accounts for the change in charge on the boundary between the regions.
Apteronotus
Hi Everyone,

I'm told that the following formula represents Kirchhoff's current law
[tex]
g_1 E_{1 n}+\varepsilon_1 \frac{\partial E_{1 n}}{\partial t}=g_2 E_{2 n}+\varepsilon_2 \frac{\partial E_{2 n}}{\partial t}
[/tex]
where the first term on each side is Ohm's law and the conductive current
and the second term is the 'displacement current'

To give you the complete picture, we are looking at the boundary of two regions (1 and 2) having different dielectric properties.
[tex]E_{i n}[/tex] is the normal component of the electric field in region i
[tex]\varepsilon_i[/tex] the dielectric constant there, and
[tex]g_i[/tex] the conductivity

Could someone please shed some light on this. What exactly is the second term[tex]\varepsilon_i\frac{\partial E_{i n}}{\partial t}[/tex]? What's its physical significance? Is it the buildup of charge on the boundary? If so why do we consider the normal component [tex]E_{i n}[/tex]?

Please make me understand :(

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How could u ever not know the famous displacement current ? :) James Clerk Maxwell introduced it around 1860, because he knew that currents produce magnetic field and was wondering what is happening to the magnetic field between the plates of a capacitor since the conducting current vanishes there.

The answer was brilliant: There is a time varying electric field between the plates of a capacitor(which correlates to the charge buildup in the plates) which time varying electric field produces its own magnetic field. Since it produces a magnetic field that time varying electric field can be considered some sort of current, a displacement current !.

We take the normal component of the electric field cause that is the one responsible for the flow of current through a surface normal to it. Hm more specifically, Kirchoff current law is a special case of Maxwell-Ampere Law, which is a surface integral law which takes into account the field flux through a closed surface. Computing field flux through a surface u always consider the normal component of the field to that surface

Last edited:
So tell me if I'm reading this right. Supposing I have two dielectrics attached to one another. If I apply a current to one of them, two things could happen:

1. The current will pass through the dielectric ( this is the first terms: [tex]g_k E_{kn}[/tex] )
or
2. charge will build up on the boundary of the two dielectrics (this is the second term [tex]\varepsilon_k \frac{\partial E_{k n}}{\partial t}[/tex] )?

What exactly is the second term[tex]\varepsilon_i\frac{\partial E_{i n}}{\partial t}[/tex]? What's its physical significance? Is it the buildup of charge on the boundary? If so why do we consider the normal component [tex]E_{i n}[/tex]?
[tex]
g_1 E_{1 n}+\varepsilon_1 \frac{\partial E_{1 n}}{\partial t}=g_2 E_{2 n}+\varepsilon_2 \frac{\partial E_{2 n}}{\partial t}
[/tex]
is basically a (free) charge continuity equation on the boundary between regions
[tex]
j_{2 n}-j_{1 n}+\frac{\partial (D_{2 n}-D_{1 n})}{\partial t}=0[/tex]
[tex]
j_{2 n}-j_{1 n}+\frac{\partial \sigma}{\partial t}=0
[/tex]
The variation of the current across the boundary takes the role of divergence.

The separate displacement currents are basically the contributions to charge variation on the interface from each side.

Related to The Physical Significance of the Second Term in Kirchhoff's Current Law

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law for dielectrics?

Kirchhoff's Law for dielectrics states that the sum of the electric currents entering and leaving any point on a dielectric is equal to the change in electric charge at that point. This law is also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law.

2. How is Kirchhoff's Law applied to dielectric materials?

Kirchhoff's Law is applied to dielectric materials by considering the flow of electric current through the dielectric as well as the accumulation of electric charge within the material. It helps to determine the electric field and electric potential at different points within the dielectric.

3. What is the significance of Kirchhoff's Law in understanding dielectric behavior?

Kirchhoff's Law is significant in understanding dielectric behavior because it helps to explain how electric charges and currents behave within a dielectric material. It also helps to analyze and predict the effects of external electric fields on the dielectric.

4. How does Kirchhoff's Law affect the behavior of capacitors?

Kirchhoff's Law plays a crucial role in the behavior of capacitors as it helps to determine the charge accumulation and distribution within the capacitor plates. This, in turn, affects the capacitance and the ability of the capacitor to store electric energy.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Law be applied to any type of dielectric material?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Law can be applied to any type of dielectric material as long as the material follows the basic principles of electricity and has a well-defined electric field and electric potential. It is a fundamental law that applies to all dielectric materials.