The physics of a swinging door

• Thread starter Idrees
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I can move the earth.." ArchimedesInstead of posting stupid quaotes on this ..y didnt some one put an answer..
Idrees
the physics of a swinging door !

Homework Statement

why is it that its easier to open a swing door by pushing on the open side rather than the hinge side

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a swing door has no latch so thus maybe its to do with force or rotational motion but I am not sure please explain

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you studied moments, torques and moment of inertia?

yes i have studied torque.. but still I am not sure what the question is really askin.. can u please eloborate or give me some hints atleast
thnksss

think about inertia and torque especially.

When you tighten a bolt with a wrench, do you hold the wrench near the head, or near the tail?

When you saw a seesaw, do you sit near the centre, or near the end?

Which way is easier? Why?

on the seesaw we sit on the edge and that is because equal amount of torque net force acts on each individual. i studied the troque but I am not sure what they are askin on my question about the door., it wil help me out if you can answer the question and i will try to understand it

OK, here's what the question's asking.

You push sideways on an open door. It's easier to close the door if you push near the doorknob than if you push near the hinge. Why?

To answer it, what's Newton's second law for rotational motion?

Idrees said:
on the seesaw we sit on the edge and that is because equal amount of torque net force acts on each individual.
Right. But what if one of you sat near the centre while the other one stayed at the edge?

Would this work? Why not?

What's different in terms of the forces the two sitters can apply?

it easier to push the door and open it if we use the door knob.. because the hinge is the axis upopn which the rotation occurs. using the door knob we can apply force easier and get higher acceleration.. and Newtons second law of rotational motion is

external torque net = moment of inertia * angular acceraltion

from this i think i can conclude that the moment of inertia for the door is when no one exerts any force on it and angular acceration is how much the door opens.

I have tried to get answer please help me more please.. i really want to answer this feed back please

There's another equation for torque.

can some one please give me an answer... I am in need of an answer, we have all the relevant points ..

Torque = Distance cross Force. Assume your pushing at 90 degrees. So Torque = Distance times Force. Distance is the distance between the axle and where you push. You can see that D increase cause Torque to increase, when Force stays the same.

I guess they no longer teach

"give me a lever long enough and I can move the earth.." Archimedes

instead of posting stupid quaotes on this ..y didnt some one put an answer..

Idrees said:
Because you're the one who's in school, smartass.

When you're out there building a drawbridge for your wife and babies to drive over, are you going to stop the next guy on the street and ask him to show you how to build a bridge?

Maybe crack open your textbook?

Idrees said:

That wasn't meant as a put down. I am an instructor who is in the trenches every day busting my butt to teach to teach med school level physiology to a group of students who were sold down the river many years ago. I recall in the second grade being taught about the seven simple machines and recall this quote from the sixth grade.

I actually use a door as an example in teaching basic physics where I pick out the biggest bruiser in the class but who is restricted to pushing against me on one side of the door at 1/3 the width while I gain the utmost mechanical advantage on the opposite side--so far I have been lucky but no one yet has had three times my eroding strength. :smile:

Sorry if my remarks were misinterpreted... It wasn't meant as personal in any way, shape or form--just bemoaning the current lack of scientific literacy in the US. If you had the fairly ordinary education I had and most of my generation, you most likely would have known the answer w/o even thinking.

denverdoc said:
That wasn't meant as a put down. Sorry if my remarks were misinterpreted...
I don't think it was interpreted as a put down at all. I think Idrees is just mad that we don't ... how did he put it? ... "just give him the answer".

Physics can be frustrating. I think the OP was given both broad hints and exact solutions several times, and actually assumed the thread was flayed horsemeat twice diced. Yet I here his frustration as I see it everyday.

FAQ: The physics of a swinging door

What causes a swinging door to move back and forth?

A swinging door moves back and forth due to the force of gravity acting on the door and the pivot point at which it is attached to the frame. When the door is pushed or pulled, it gains momentum and continues to swing until it is stopped by a force or object.

Why does a swinging door eventually come to a stop?

A swinging door comes to a stop due to the force of friction. As the door swings, it creates friction between the hinges and the frame, which slows down its motion until it eventually stops.

What is the relationship between the length of a swinging door and its period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation, or the time it takes for a swinging door to complete one full swing, is directly proportional to the length of the door. This means that a longer door will take longer to swing back and forth compared to a shorter door.

How does the mass of a swinging door affect its motion?

The mass of a swinging door does not affect its motion, as long as the door is not too heavy for the hinges and frame to support. The force of gravity and the pivot point are the main factors that determine the motion of a swinging door.

Can the speed of a swinging door be increased by adding more force?

Yes, the speed of a swinging door can be increased by adding more force when pushing or pulling the door. However, this may also increase the amount of friction and cause the door to come to a stop more quickly.