The Physics of Boxes with No Friction: 10N Push Test

In summary, if 3 blocks weighing 20 kgs each are placed next to each other on a frictionless floor and a 10 N force is exerted, all 3 blocks will move to the right. The force will transfer equally to all 3 blocks and there will also be a 10 N reaction force. These concepts also apply to masses of 1 million kgs, but with lower acceleration. Good luck on your test tomorrow!
caljuice
If there are 3 blocks weighing 20 kgs each and placed next to each other on a frictionless floor, and I exert 10 N, all 3 blocks will still move right? Do all the boxes receive a 10N push since there is no friction to reduce the force as it transfers? But do I only get pushed back 10N due to reaction force? Finally do the same concepts apply if the masses are 1million kgs? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
caljuice said:
If there are 3 blocks weighing 20 kgs each and placed next to each other on a frictionless floor, and I exert 10 N, all 3 blocks will still move right? Do all the boxes receive a 10N push since there is no friction to reduce the force as it transfers? But do I only get pushed back 10N due to reaction force? Finally do the same concepts apply if the masses are 1million kgs? Thanks!

yes, all three blocks will move. All three blocks will also receive a 10 N force. You will also receive a 10 N reaction force. Yes, the same concepts apply to 1 million kg masses...the boxes will just have lower acceleration.

Alright, thanks. Quick response, I have my test tomorrow too. I got the concepts now. Good luck to me.

Related to The Physics of Boxes with No Friction: 10N Push Test

1. What is the concept of "The Physics of Boxes with No Friction: 10N Push Test"?

The concept refers to a theoretical experiment that studies the motion of a box on a surface with no friction when a force of 10N is applied to it.

2. Why is it important to study the physics of boxes with no friction?

Understanding the principles of motion and forces acting on objects with no friction can help in the development of efficient transportation systems and the design of machinery and equipment.

3. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment involves placing a box on a frictionless surface and applying a force of 10N to it. The motion of the box is then observed and recorded.

4. What are the expected results of the experiment?

The box is expected to continue moving in a straight line with constant velocity after the 10N force is applied, due to the absence of friction. This is in accordance with Newton's First Law of Motion.

5. What are the real-world applications of this experiment?

The principles observed in this experiment can be applied in the development of efficient transportation systems such as high-speed trains and roller coasters. It can also be used in the design of machinery and equipment for industries.