The Pinetree Riddle: Have You Experienced It?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, a few people have experienced a delayed effect after eating pine tree seeds, where all tasting of food becomes bitter for a few days. There is currently no known cause for this, but it may be due to a different species of pine nut.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I read a remarkable article in the newspaper a few days ago, I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced such a thing? It is at least something to pay attention to.

Link: http://www.nrc.nl/achtergrond/article1157911.ece/Het_pijnboomraadsel

Apparently quite a few people experience an alteration in their perception of taste, two days after eating pine tree seeds. All of a sudden everything what they eat will taste bitter, especially wine, tea and coffee become undrinkable. After five days the bitter tastes disappear and the perception is normalized.

The delayed effect has been hard to explain, there is a fruit known that can change taste perception: the Synsepalum dulcificum. It makes sour food taste sweet, but the effect only lasts a couple of hours.

Biology news on Phys.org
Is there an English version? :-p

I've never noticed any effect of eating pine nuts on taste of other things, and I ate a lot of them for a while (bought a big package and added them to everything). I'd definitely remember if my coffee didn't taste good anymore.

Moonbear said:
Is there an English version? :-p
Why, it's just Dutch :biggrin:

Sorry, the online website translators are terrible so won't be of any use. The article basically describes what I summarized. There might be a chemical in the pine tree nuts that changes the sensitivity of your bitter-sensing taste buds. They have no clue where it comes from, there doesn't seem a specific source.

I'd definitely remember if my coffee didn't taste good anymore.
haha, Yeah, I haven't noticed the effect either.

Well that makes 3 of us who haven't noticed the effects of altered taste after eating pine nuts {seeds}. Maybe its a different species, the pine nuts we eat here come from the Pinon pine{Pinus edulis}.

hypatia said:
Well that makes 3 of us who haven't noticed the effects of altered taste after eating pine nuts {seeds}. Maybe its a different species, the pine nuts we eat here come from the Pinon pine{Pinus edulis}.
Make that four of us, hypatia. I have had pretty generous helpings of pine nuts with salads and in trail mixes, and my coffee always tastes fine.

hypatia said:
Maybe its a different species, the pine nuts we eat here come from the Pinon pine{Pinus edulis}.

Perhaps that's effect of eating nuts of Pinus nonedulis?

Borek said:
Perhaps that's effect of eating nuts of Pinus nonedulis?
Known in the central states of the US as the notapinenut... :rolleyes:

Here's something I remembered that is related to the main topic of this thread. This is a New York Times article on a west African fruit, Synsepalum dulcificum, that drastically alters the sense of taste of other foods for several hours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28flavor.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Chemicals in the fruit are said to bind to the bitter and sour receptors on the tongue, blocking or modifying what is sensed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit

This plant is thinking out of the box! It is a completely different response to create an incentive for animals to eat fruit, from "be tasty," to "make everything else tasty."

Last edited:
Mk said:
Here's something I remembered that is related to the main topic of this thread. This is a New York Times article on a west African fruit, Synsepalum dulcificum, that drastically alters the sense of taste of other foods for several hours.
Yes, I mentioned it in my first post. I've heard the rumor that the US food industry wanted to use it as an ingredient, but that it got banned.

Indeed, in the article it says: "During the 1970s, a ruling by the Food and Drug Administration dashed hopes that an extract of miraculin could be sold as a sugar substitute. In the absence of any plausible commercial application, the miracle fruit has acquired a bit of a cult following".

Related to The Pinetree Riddle: Have You Experienced It?

1. What is "The Pinetree Riddle" about?

"The Pinetree Riddle" is a mysterious phenomenon that has been reported by many people in various locations around the world. It involves the sudden appearance of a single pine tree in an unexpected location, often in the middle of a city or a desert. The tree is said to have special properties and has been associated with strange occurrences and unexplained events.

2. Is there any scientific explanation for "The Pinetree Riddle"?

As of now, there is no scientifically proven explanation for "The Pinetree Riddle". Some theories suggest that the trees may be the result of a rare genetic mutation, while others believe it could be a form of art installation or a hoax. However, there is no concrete evidence to support these claims.

3. How many reported cases of "The Pinetree Riddle" are there?

There have been numerous reported cases of "The Pinetree Riddle" over the years, but most of them have been anecdotal and lacking in evidence. As a scientist, it is important to approach these cases with skepticism and rely on empirical data to draw conclusions.

4. Can "The Pinetree Riddle" be replicated in a controlled environment?

As of now, there has been no successful replication of "The Pinetree Riddle" in a controlled environment. However, there have been attempts to artificially create such trees, but they have not exhibited the same properties as the reported cases.

5. What impact does "The Pinetree Riddle" have on the environment?

There is no evidence to suggest that "The Pinetree Riddle" has any significant impact on the environment. The trees are usually found in isolated locations and do not seem to have any negative effects on the surrounding ecosystem. However, more research is needed to understand the true nature of this phenomenon and its potential impact on the environment.