The polonium isotope 210Po, an alpha emitter, has a half-life of 138

In summary, the cube of polonium boiled water for tea for 138.38 days. The water was not noticeably altered by the process.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

The polonium isotope 210Po, an alpha emitter, has a half-life of 138.38 days. You happen to have a 1.5 g cube of 210Po, so you decide to use it to boil water for tea. You fill a well-insulated container with 120 mL of water at 18° C and drop in the cube of polonium.
(a) How long will it take to bring the water to a boil?
(b) Explain whether or not the water have been altered in any way by this method of boiling.

Homework Equations

N=N0e-λt
E=mc2
E=mΔTC
where c is heat capacity of water 4.18 j/gC°

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have found the energy fro the water to change from temperature which is 41131.2 joules. Then I feel i would have to find the amount of time it takes polonium to reach that amount of energy but i don't know how i would do that.

Physics news on Phys.org

From the information given, you can figure out how many Polonium atoms you have and how many will decay in a any given time. You also need to know how much energy is released with each decay and that information isn't given. Perhaps you could look it up somewhere.

Amazing how much power that stuff releases! Too bad it isn't practical to power cars with it.

Well, it is not used to power cars, but at least "210Po heat source was also used in each of the Lunokhod rovers deployed on the surface of the Moon, to keep their internal components warm during the lunar nights."

ehild

Fascinating! I forgot all about Lunokhod and never heard of its owner before - interesting character. I, too, sold my first Apple II program in ziplok bags at a computer store but unfortunately it didn't interest any company.

i'm stuck on the same problem! Anyone figure out yet?? Thanks soo much!

We can not help without seeing what you tried so far.

ehild

You have that the decay energy of the polonoium is a little over 5 MeV, so you can convert that to joules per decay, and calculate how long the cube of polnum takes to release that much energy (you'll want to convert the mass of the cube to activity first).

That is the way to do it. You can check your answer for the energy released per second if you carefully read the article linked in post #3.

Related to The polonium isotope 210Po, an alpha emitter, has a half-life of 138

1. What is polonium-210 and what makes it unique as an isotope?

Polonium-210 is a radioactive isotope of the element polonium. It is unique because it is an alpha emitter, meaning it releases alpha particles during radioactive decay. It also has a relatively short half-life of 138 days.

2. How does polonium-210 decay and what does it decay into?

Polonium-210 undergoes alpha decay, which means it releases an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from its nucleus. This results in the formation of a new element, lead-206.

3. What is the significance of polonium-210's half-life of 138 days?

The half-life of an isotope is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of the isotope to decay. In the case of polonium-210, it has a relatively short half-life of 138 days, which means it decays relatively quickly compared to other radioactive isotopes.

4. How is polonium-210 used in science and technology?

Polonium-210 has a variety of uses in science and technology. It is used as a heat source in thermoelectric power generators, as a source of alpha particles in research and medical applications, and as a static eliminator in industrial processes.

5. How is exposure to polonium-210 harmful to humans?

Exposure to polonium-210 can be harmful to humans due to its high radioactivity. It can cause damage to cells and tissues, leading to various health effects such as tissue damage, increased risk of cancer, and even death in high doses.