The power delivered by gravity?

In summary, the question is asking which statement about the power delivered to a projectile by the gravitational force is true. After considering the equation for power and the work done by gravity on the object, the correct answer appears to be c) The power delivered is given by the function P(t) = -mgvy(t), and it would not be constant due to the decrease in kinetic energy caused by the negative work done by gravity.
jamal.kun

Homework Statement

Consider a projectile fired vertically with an initial velocity vi. This can be thought of as the gravitational force doing work Wg = Fg∆y on the projectile as it travels through some vertical displacement ∆y. Which of the following statements is true?Question options:
a) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is zero.

b) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is constant.

c) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is P(t) = –mgvy(t)

d) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is P = mgvi

Homework Equations

Power = work/time

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with work = force x displacement, with the force of gravity being the mass of the object (m) times the acceleration due to gravity (g), since the object is moving in only the vertical direction. With only mg/time, the power delivered would be constant over time, which was incorrect.

I'm now thinking the answer could be c) since gravity would be acting in the opposite direction from the initial velocity with the equation from power = force x velocity but am not sure. I assume the power would not be constant because kinetic energy would be constantly decreasing due to the negative work done by gravity?Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
jamal.kun said:

Homework Statement

Consider a projectile fired vertically with an initial velocity vi. This can be thought of as the gravitational force doing work Wg = Fg∆y on the projectile as it travels through some vertical displacement ∆y. Which of the following statements is true?Question options:
a) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is zero.

b) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is constant.

c) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is P(t) = –mgvy(t)

d) The power delivered to the projectile from the gravitational force is P = mgvi

Homework Equations

Power = work/time

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with work = force x displacement, with the force of gravity being the mass of the object (m) times the acceleration due to gravity (g), since the object is moving in only the vertical direction. With only mg/time, the power delivered would be constant over time, which was incorrect.

I'm now thinking the answer could be c) since gravity would be acting in the opposite direction from the initial velocity with the equation from power = force x velocity but am not sure. I assume the power would not be constant because kinetic energy would be constantly decreasing due to the negative work done by gravity?Thanks for your time.
(c) looks like the best option to me as well. :smile:

Likes jamal.kun

Related to The power delivered by gravity?

1. What is the definition of power delivered by gravity?

The power delivered by gravity is the rate at which work is done by the force of gravity on an object. It is measured in watts (W) and is equal to the product of the object's weight and its velocity.

2. How is the power delivered by gravity calculated?

The power delivered by gravity is calculated by multiplying the object's weight in newtons (N) by its velocity in meters per second (m/s). This can be represented by the formula P = W x v, where P is power, W is weight, and v is velocity.

3. Does the power delivered by gravity change with distance?

Yes, the power delivered by gravity changes with distance. As an object moves further away from the source of gravity, the force of gravity decreases and therefore the power delivered also decreases. This is because the object's weight and velocity decrease as it moves further away.

4. Can the power delivered by gravity be negative?

Yes, the power delivered by gravity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the gravitational force. In this case, the velocity and the force of gravity are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for power.

5. How does the power delivered by gravity affect an object's motion?

The power delivered by gravity affects an object's motion by providing the force needed to accelerate the object. As an object falls towards the Earth, the force of gravity increases its velocity and therefore increases the power delivered. This results in a faster acceleration towards the ground.