The principle of least Action proof of minimum

Also, you are not summarizing the content, you are just repeating parts of it. Please provide a summary of the conversation.In summary, the conversation is about the principle of least action and how it is illustrated in section 19-2 of Feynman's Lectures on Physics. The concept of mean square and square mean is discussed, along with the definitions of kinetic and potential energy. The conversation also touches on the problem of proving that the mean square is always greater than the square of the mean, and how this relates to the principle of least action. The summary concludes with a mention of a potential error in the conversation and a request for clarification.
shakaman2

Homework Statement

Reading Feynman The Principle of Least Action out of The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol 2. Link to text http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_19.html
So I'm having a problem proving that, section 19-2 5th paragraf, that
"Now the mean square of something that deviates around an average, as you know, is always greater than the square of the mean; ". The purpose of this was to illustrate the principle of least action. Then proving that the path that is taken by a particle is the one with Actions = 0, and the way to get to that path. Below is a comment that is underlined(sp?) made while discussing how to do this.

Homework Equations

So definitions:
Numbers: [tex] x_1+...x_n [/tex]
Mean: [tex] (x_1+...x_n)/n [/tex]
Mean square: [tex] ((x_1+...x_n)/n)^2 [/tex]
Square mean: [tex] (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n [/tex]
Kinetic Energy: KE
Potential Energy: PE
Action [tex] = S = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (KE-PE) dt [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i can prove for myself that the following is true:
[tex] ((x_1+...x_n)/n)^2 \geq (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n \quad \forall x_i \geq 0 [/tex]

The problem here s that it is not always that [tex] x_i \geq 0 [/tex]. Since we have [tex] v \in \mathbb{R} [/tex], and therefore can be less then 0. So when we later go to find the path that is right we can't minimize with respect to the action.
What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shakaman2 said:

Homework Statement

Reading Feynman The Principle of Least Action out of The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol 2. Link to text http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_19.html
So I'm having a problem proving that, section 19-2 5th paragraf, that
"Now the mean square of something that deviates around an average, as you know, is always greater than the square of the mean; ". The purpose of this was to illustrate the principle of least action. Then proving that the path that is taken by a particle is the one with Actions = 0, and the way to get to that path. Below is a comment that is underlined(sp?) made while discussing how to do this.

Homework Equations

So definitions:
Numbers: [tex] x_1+...x_n [/tex]
Mean: [tex] (x_1+...x_n)/n [/tex]
Mean square: [tex] ((x_1+...x_n)/n)^2 [/tex]
Square mean: [tex] (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n [/tex]
Kinetic Energy: KE
Potential Energy: PE
Action [tex] = S = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (KE-PE) dt [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i can prove for myself that the following is true:
[tex] ((x_1+...x_n)/n)^2 \geq (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n \quad \forall x_i \geq 0 [/tex]

The problem here s that it is not always that [tex] x_i \geq 0 [/tex]. Since we have [tex] v \in \mathbb{R} [/tex], and therefore can be less then 0. So when we later go to find the path that is right we can't minimize with respect to the action.
What am I missing here?

I hope you can't prove that
[tex] ((x_1+...x_n)/n)^2 \geq (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n \quad \forall x_i \geq 0 \; \Leftarrow \:\text{FALSE} [/tex]
because the exact opposite is true:
[tex] \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 \geq \left( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \right)^2 \;\; \forall x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n \in \mathbb{R} [/tex]
This follows from expansion and simplification of
[tex] \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})^2 \geq 0, [/tex]
where ##\bar{x} = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i## is the average of the ##x_i##.

Ray Vickson said:
I hope you can't prove that
[tex] ((x_1+...x_n)/n)^2 \geq (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n \quad \forall x_i \geq 0 \; \Leftarrow \:\text{FALSE} [/tex]
because the exact opposite is true:
[tex] \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 \geq \left( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \right)^2 \;\; \forall x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n \in \mathbb{R} [/tex]
This follows from expansion and simplification of
[tex] \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})^2 \geq 0, [/tex]
where ##\bar{x} = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i## is the average of the ##x_i##.

Yes sorry the [tex] (...)^2 [/tex] should be before the n [tex] \quad (x_1+...x_n)^2 /n \geq (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n \quad \forall x_i \geq 0 \; [/tex]
Which I get from [tex] (a^2+b^2) \geq (a+b)^2 [/tex]
But when I try to edit I get:
The following error occurred:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Was trying to wait it out.

shakaman2 said:
Yes sorry the [tex] (...)^2 [/tex] should be before the n [tex] \quad (x_1+...x_n)^2 /n \geq (x^2_1+...x^2_n)/n \quad \forall x_i \geq 0 \; [/tex]
Which I get from [tex] (a^2+b^2) \geq (a+b)^2 [/tex]
But when I try to edit I get:
The following error occurred:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Was trying to wait it out.

You keep writing false things. It is not true that ##a^2 + b^2 \geq (a+b)^2##. Try putting ##a = b = 1## and see what happens.

Related to The principle of least Action proof of minimum

1. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the path taken by a system between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over the path. This principle is used to describe the motion of particles and fields in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. How is the principle of least action related to the proof of minimum?

The principle of least action is used to derive the equations of motion for a system, and the proof of minimum is used to show that these equations of motion are the ones that minimize the action. In other words, the principle of least action provides a physical interpretation for the mathematical concept of the proof of minimum.

3. What does the proof of minimum tell us about the behavior of physical systems?

The proof of minimum tells us that physical systems tend to follow the path that minimizes the action. This means that they follow the path of least resistance, which is the path that requires the least amount of energy for the system to move from one point to another.

4. How is the principle of least action used in practical applications?

The principle of least action is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in classical mechanics to describe the motion of particles, in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and in optics to describe the path of light rays. It is also used in fields such as economics and biology to model the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the principle of least action?

While the principle of least action is a powerful and widely applicable concept, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system being studied is conservative, meaning that it does not dissipate energy. It also assumes that the system is deterministic, meaning that the future state of the system can be predicted from its present state. Additionally, it is a classical concept and may not accurately describe the behavior of systems at the quantum level.