The propagator divergence in weak theory

In summary: As Griffiths says, "when a process involves energies that are comparable to M_wc^2 we must, of course, revert to the exact expression." So the renormalization is not a cheat, but a way to get back to the exact expression.
dingo_d
So I am wondering about one thing. The charged propagators in weak theory are W+- bosons. The mathematical expression for them, while drawing the Feynman diagrams is:

[itex]-i\frac{g_{\mu\nu}-\frac{q_\mu q_\nu}{m_W^2}}{q^2-m_w^2}[/itex].

The problems that are usually given to me are simple and involve cases where either [itex]q^2>>m_w^2[/itex] or [itex]q^2<<m_w^2[/itex], so I can simplify the propagator and carry on with the calculation.

But what happens if the impulse transfer q is the same as the mass of the W boson?

Griffiths only says: "However, when a process involves energies that are comparable to [itex]M_wc^2[/itex] we must, of course, revert to the exact expression."

How does that help if they are the same? I'll still have a divergent expression!

Is this the point of renormalization? I just put, by hand, some small parameter down there and everything is fine? But that's kinda like cheating :\

Physics news on Phys.org
By divergence are you referring to the zero in the denominator when q[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\approx[/itex]m[itex]_{w}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]? in those cases, the finite width of the W boson plays a role and the denominator of the propogator is q[itex]^{2}[/itex]-m[itex]_{w}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+im[itex]_{w}[/itex] [itex]\Gamma_{w}[/itex], where [itex]\Gamma_{w}[/itex] determines the width of the resonance.

[itex]\Gamma_{w}[/itex] is the decay width of the W boson. It is related to the lifetime of the W boson,i.e., [itex]\Gamma_{w}\tau_{w}[/itex]=1

Hmmm, so there is some real physics behind that. I thought that they just made the renormalization so that they would just avoid divergences, as a mathematical trick...

Thanks for the clarification :)

In some cases, the propogator really does diverge. It happens when a stable particle (and thus [itex]\Gamma[/itex]=0) emit a very soft massless particle (E~0) or a colinear massless particle (if the particle is also massless). For example, an electron emiting a very soft photon or a colinear photon (if the electron mass in neglected). Then, it is needed to regularize the propogator, but this divergences always cancel when calculating observable quantities.

But all this is not needed in the W case.

FAQ: The propagator divergence in weak theory

1. What is the propagator divergence in weak theory?

The propagator divergence in weak theory refers to the phenomenon where the propagator, which is a mathematical quantity used to describe the propagation of particles, becomes infinite or undefined in certain scenarios. This typically occurs when dealing with weak interactions in particle physics.

2. Why is the propagator divergence important in weak theory?

The propagator divergence is important because it indicates a breakdown in the theory being used. In other words, the theory is unable to accurately describe or predict the behavior of particles in certain situations, leading to infinite or undefined results. This highlights the need for further development and refinement of the theory.

3. How does the propagator divergence affect experimental results?

The propagator divergence can have a significant impact on experimental results. It can lead to incorrect predictions or interpretations of experimental data, which can hinder our understanding of the underlying physical phenomena. Therefore, it is important to account for propagator divergence when analyzing experimental results.

4. Can the propagator divergence be avoided?

In most cases, the propagator divergence cannot be avoided. It is a fundamental feature of the weak theory and arises from the mathematical formalism used to describe particle interactions. However, it can be mitigated by using more advanced mathematical techniques or by incorporating corrections into the theory.

5. How is the propagator divergence related to renormalization?

The propagator divergence is closely related to the concept of renormalization in theoretical physics. Renormalization is a technique used to remove infinite quantities from physical theories, and it is often employed to handle propagator divergences. By introducing new parameters or modifying existing ones, the theory can be made to produce finite and meaningful results, allowing for more accurate predictions.