The question: Is Electrical Engineering the Right Choice for Me?

• Thread starter nukewarm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary: I think there was a course on electromagnetism too. I'm not sure though. Anyway, if you're interested in EE and you don't have a background in math and science, you might want to consider taking some pre-requisite courses before you even consider transferring.
nukewarm
My name's Chris, and assuming this is the proper forum section (If not I apologize), I'd really appreciate any information you could give me regarding electrical engineering.

I'm currently going to a community college where I'm taking the math and science classes necessary to transfer to a four-year. The counselors at my school haven't been very helpful so far, so I've mostly been referring to online sources for future college and career information.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should study electrical engineering. My worry is that my interests might only play a small role in the time I spend in college, and what I'll do after it.

I'm not very interested in computer hardware, comp. languages, or robotics. My main interests are motors, electromagnets, power systems (generation, distribution, storage), and propulsion (More MechE probably). I also am very interested in any/all technical skills associated with those areas.

My main questions would be:

1. How integrated are the aforementioned subjects in an ECE curriculum in/after college?
2. How convenient is it to acquire the technical skills associated with electrical engineering at or after college?
3. How often and to what degree do/can you work directly with power and propulsion systems? (Electricity requires a power system, I know, but I'd still like to here about it)

If you have any other general comments about electrical engineering, I'd love to hear them.

P.S.

Is anyone educated in both ME and EE? When considering just the educational and skill set value, would you recommend studying both? I don't mind the cost.

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
personally, I'm not sure i'd do it again. this nation simply doesn't value it's engineers anymore. if you're smart enough for electrical, you smart enough for medicine, where you'd make a lot more money and get to retire early if you want.

Proton Soup said:
personally, I'm not sure i'd do it again. this nation simply doesn't value it's engineers anymore. if you're smart enough for electrical, you smart enough for medicine, where you'd make a lot more money and get to retire early if you want.

What if he's, you know, interested in EE and not medicine?

Maxwell said:
What if he's, you know, interested in EE and not medicine?

then i guess he would have said he has his mind made up, or just not asked for input. i was interested in it too, and pretty much started sailing down that path after some 9th grade career project. if it's just something you've got to do, then nobody is going to stop you. but if not, consider your options.

nukewarm said:
1. How integrated are the aforementioned subjects in an ECE curriculum in/after college?
2. How convenient is it to acquire the technical skills associated with electrical engineering at or after college?
3. How often and to what degree do/can you work directly with power and propulsion systems? (Electricity requires a power system, I know, but I'd still like to here about it)

If you have any other general comments about electrical engineering, I'd love to hear them.

P.S.

Is anyone educated in both ME and EE? When considering just the educational and skill set value, would you recommend studying both? I don't mind the cost.

1. Most graduate programs have power system type courses. As an undergrad, you might be able to take a some as electives but most EE programs don't really offer much of them as part of the curriculum.

2. If you acquire none during college, you'll need to take some courses afterwards to get the basics down.

3. I don't understand what you are asking.

nukewarm said:

By background is in electromechanical systems so I deal with both on a regular basis (they call it mechatronics now a days I think).

Quite a bit of emphasis on power systems and control systems in those type of programs (typically) as well as the core EE & ME stuff.

CS

EE is still valued in this country and around the world. If EE is where your aptitude lies, I say go for it. But interest alone is not enough. Ability, i.e. natural talent in math & science is all-important. Power systems is something most EE's avoid. If you like power, you should have no problems w/ employment. There is always a demand for good power & general analog practitioners.

If you have good math grades in calculus, diff eqtns, etc. and you have an interest in EE, go for it. But remember, to be a good EE, you have to be studious, and willing to learn chemistry, physics, ME basics, CE basics, English composition, humanities, history, etc. There's more to EE than just EE. BR.

Claude

My degree is in physics but I recall that at my alma mater GaTech the computer component of the EE program grew so large they spun it off into a computer engineering school. This left room for the EE school to offer what you describe, broad non-digital areas of focus in their program (as well as the detailed engineering of hardware used in computers without all the computer architecture business). They had a substantial program in both electrical power engineering and electro-acoustic engineering within their EE program and I assume still do. I can't speak to what the jobs after graduation require but I know the program was large and in demand so I assume graduates were finding good jobs. If you want more flexibility you might consider an ME degree with EE concentration.

I expect demand for EE grads will grow as we trend toward electrically driven vehicles be they powered by fuel cells, batteries, or IC engines. In addition to designing vehicle components I suspect in the next couple of decades a growth in electrical infrastructure as demand grows with the "greening" of our transportation systems.

FAQ: The question: Is Electrical Engineering the Right Choice for Me?

1. Should I go into the field of electrical engineering?

This decision ultimately depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. If you are interested in designing and developing electrical systems, have a strong aptitude for math and science, and enjoy problem-solving, then electrical engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also a rapidly evolving field with a high demand for skilled professionals, making it a promising career choice.

2. What skills are needed for a career in electrical engineering?

Some essential skills for electrical engineering include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well with others in a team. Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of programming languages may also be beneficial.

3. What education is required for a career in electrical engineering?

Most electrical engineering positions require a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a Master's degree or higher. Courses in math, physics, computer science, and engineering principles are typically included in an electrical engineering curriculum.

4. What job opportunities are available in the field of electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering offers a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including power generation, telecommunications, electronics, and manufacturing. Some common job titles in this field include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, power systems engineer, and control systems engineer.

5. What is the job outlook for electrical engineering?

The job outlook for electrical engineering is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is fueled by the increasing demand for new technologies and the need to upgrade existing electrical systems. With the rapid advancements in technology, there will continue to be a high demand for skilled electrical engineers in the future.

Back