The reason why you can't accelerate to light speed

In summary, the effects of special relativity (length contraction, time dilation, relativity of simultaneity, etc.) are not caused by spacetime curvature, which is what is responsible for gravity according to general relativity. The concept of time dilation was introduced by Einstein in his theory of special relativity, which is based on the constant speed of light. This is different from the concept of time dilation in general relativity, which is related to the warping of spacetime by gravity. The history of the development of these concepts is also tied to the study of the "aether," but Einstein's work showed that it was not necessary to explain these phenomena.
acesuv
I had thought about it, and came to this conclusion:

In order to accelerate your mass faster and faster, you'll need a higher and higher amount of energy in order to move yourself; this energy (which could be considered mass?) curves space/time and causes time dilation.

How off am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
acesuv said:
I had thought about it, and came to this conclusion:

In order to accelerate your mass faster and faster, you'll need a higher and higher amount of energy in order to move yourself; this energy (which could be considered mass?) curves space/time and causes time dilation.

How off am I?

Not even in the right zip code :smile:
The effects of special relativity (length contraction, time dilation, relativity of simultaneity, and the like) have nothing to do with space-time curvature.

Space-time curvature only comes n when gravitational effects are present.

Nugatory said:
Not even in the right zip code :smile:
The effects of special relativity (length contraction, time dilation, relativity of simultaneity, and the like) have nothing to do with space-time curvature.

Space-time curvature only comes n when gravitational effects are present.

I thought time dilation was the result of the curvature of space/time :cry:
Is there an explanation for it?

acesuv said:
I thought time dilation was the result of the curvature of space/time :cry:
Is there an explanation for it?

There is an explanation, and your best bet is to start with an exposition of special relativity starting from Einstein's two postulates of special relativity. If you want to really follow in the footsteps of the master, you'll start with Einstein's 1905 paper "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies" (easy to find online); but although the math is not especially demanding, it's not exactly a gentle tutorial introduction. There a bunch of other good ones out there - I'll let some other posters weigh in with their suggestions.

try this current discussion:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=699347

nobody really understands why only massless particles can travel at 'c'...we have theories that describe such experimental observations, but if the observations were different we would have developed different theories to match different observations.

Last edited:
I thought time dilation was the result of the curvature of space/time

'curvature' is a complicated mathematical subject. It turns out only gravity causes what scientists refer to as spacetime curvature. Time dilation and length contraction effects in special relativity [SR} do not create spacetime curvature that is attributed to gravity in general relativity [GR}. It turns out that mathematically the speed which causes time and space is morph into each other in SR, whose effect is to keep the speed of light a constant for all inertial observers, is quite different than the gravitational potential of GR which actually 'curves' spacetime. [Mathematically, vectors adequately describe time dilation and length contraction, but it takes multi dimensional vectors called tensors to describe gravity. Gravity is unique among the 'forces' of nature. ]

I heard that Einstein came upon time dilation through the implication that c is constant for any observer. Is there a deeper "cause" to it than that (as far as general relativity says)?

I heard that Einstein came upon time dilation through the implication that c is constant for any observer. Is there a deeper "cause" to it than that (as far as general relativity says)?

The history is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_ether_theory#Lorentz_transformation

As I already posted, time dilation and length contraction were utilized by Einstein in SR.

Each was being studied icw 'aether' just when Einstein was working on SR. He utilized those concepts realizing 'c' is constant and that space and time are not...so no 'aether' is required...

Related to The reason why you can't accelerate to light speed

1. What is the reason behind not being able to accelerate to light speed?

The reason why we cannot accelerate to light speed is due to the laws of physics, specifically Einstein's theory of relativity. According to this theory, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

2. Is it possible to ever reach the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As mentioned before, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible for any force to accelerate it further.

3. Can any technology or scientific breakthrough allow us to accelerate to light speed?

As of now, there is no known technology or scientific breakthrough that can allow us to accelerate to light speed. However, scientists are constantly researching and exploring new theories and technologies that may one day make this possible.

4. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts. This is known as time dilation and length contraction. Therefore, the closer an object gets to the speed of light, the more distorted time and space become.

5. Are there any consequences of reaching the speed of light?

Yes, there are several consequences of reaching the speed of light. As mentioned before, time and space become distorted, and an infinite amount of energy is required to accelerate further. Additionally, the mass of the object becomes infinite, and it would require an infinite amount of force to stop it, making it impossible to slow down or come to a complete stop.