The relationship between solutions

In summary, the linear ODE y''-(ax-b)y=0 has two independent solutions: Ai(\frac{ax-b}{a^{2/3}}) and Bi(\frac{ax-b}{a^{2/3}}), known as the Airy functions. Another solution, y=(\frac{ax-b}{c^2}-\frac{2a}{c^3})e^{cx}+k_1 x+k_2, was found by substituting y=f(x) e^{cx} into the equation and solving for f, but it is not a valid solution. The relationship between these solutions is that the Airy functions are true solutions, while the other solution is false.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider the linear ODE [itex] y''-(ax-b)y=0 [/itex].
Wolframalpha gives [itex] Ai(\frac{ax-b}{a^{2/3}}) [/itex] and [itex] Bi(\frac{ax-b}{a^{2/3}}) [/itex] as the two independent solutions where Ai(z) and Bi(z) are the Airy functions.
I tried to find an answer myself, so I substituted [itex] y=f(x) e^{cx} [/itex] in the equation and tried to find f. The resulting ODE was hard so I gave it to wolframalpha and upon substituting what I got into y, I got:
[itex]
y=(\frac{ax-b}{c^2}-\frac{2a}{c^3})e^{cx}+k_1 x+k_2
[/itex]
Now I'm confused about the relationship between these solutions. Because a 2nd order ODE has two independent solutions. So the solution I found should somehow be related to Airy functions which I fail to see how. Also it seems to me that there should be another solution independent of the solution I found so that I have two independent solutions too. Then it can be said that I just have two different bases for the space of the ODE's solutions. I doubt it though.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shyan !
Put back your solution into the ODE and you will see that it doesn't agree. Your solution is false. The solution with the Airy functions is true. There is no relationship between a false and a true solution.

Likes ShayanJ

Related to The relationship between solutions

What is a solution?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, where the particles of the solute are evenly dispersed throughout the solvent. It can be in the form of a liquid, gas, or solid.

What is the relationship between solute and solvent?

The solute is the substance that is being dissolved in the solvent, while the solvent is the substance that dissolves the solute. Together, they make up a solution.

How does temperature affect the solubility of a solution?

As temperature increases, the solubility of most solids in a liquid solvent also increases. However, the solubility of gases in a liquid solvent decreases as temperature increases.

What is the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution is the amount of solute present in a given amount of solvent or solution. It is usually measured in moles per liter (M).

What factors can affect the rate of dissolution in a solution?

The rate of dissolution can be affected by factors such as temperature, surface area of the solute, agitation, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Higher temperatures, larger surface area, and agitation can increase the rate of dissolution, while the nature of the solute and solvent can also play a role in how quickly a solute dissolves in a solvent.