The role of orcein in chromosome staining

• Thread starter Alettix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    biology
In summary, Orcein and hydrochloric acid is used to make onion root cells more pliable so they can be stained with dye, and the HCl might help to soften the cell wall.
Alettix
Hi!

So some weeks ago I did a laboration in school where we had to make or own samples of onion root cells, in order to study the different phases of mitosis in a microscope. Orcein and hydrochloric acid was used when preparing the samples, to "soften up the cells" and do dye them. My questions are:
1. Why is orcein used? How does it dye the chromosomes?
2. Why is hydrochloric acid used? How does it "soften" the cells?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alettix said:
Hi!

So some weeks ago I did a laboration in school where we had to make or own samples of onion root cells, in order to study the different phases of mitosis in a microscope. Orcein and hydrochloric acid was used when preparing the samples, to "soften up the cells" and do dye them. My questions are:
1. Why is orcein used? How does it dye the chromosomes?
2. Why is hydrochloric acid used? How does it "soften" the cells?

Thank you!

1. The dye molecules (in order to be commercially useful) must stick to something. In the early days of dye chemistry, people discovered that some dyes stuck to different biological molecules in differing ways -- basically trial and error. wikipedia has chemical structures of the orcein dye molecules. I could not find any information about how the dye binds preferentially to nuclear material, but the molecules are shaped like other molecules that interchelate inbetween stacked DNA base pairs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcein

2. Some sites claim that the HCl is used to soften the cell wall and separate the indiviudal plant cells. Since the cell walls of plants are made of cellulose, the HCl might simply be catalyzing the partial hydrolysis of the cellulose. see e.g. http://www.eng.umd.edu/~nsw/ench485/lab4.htm

Likes Alettix
This was very useful! Thank you! :)

FAQ: The role of orcein in chromosome staining

1. What is orcein and how is it used in chromosome staining?

Orcein is a natural dye extracted from certain lichens. It is used in chromosome staining to help visualize and distinguish between different structures within the chromosome.

2. How does orcein interact with chromosomes?

Orcein is attracted to specific chemical groups within the chromosome, such as DNA and proteins. This attraction allows orcein to bind to these structures and make them visible under a microscope.

3. What is the purpose of using orcein in chromosome staining?

The purpose of using orcein in chromosome staining is to enhance the contrast and visibility of different structures within the chromosome, making it easier to identify and study them.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using orcein in chromosome staining?

One limitation of using orcein in chromosome staining is that it can only stain certain structures within the chromosome and may not give a complete picture of the entire chromosome. Additionally, the staining process can be time-consuming and requires careful technique to achieve consistent results.

5. How does orcein compare to other dyes used in chromosome staining?

Orcein is one of several dyes commonly used in chromosome staining, each with their own advantages and limitations. Orcein specifically stains DNA and proteins, while other dyes may target different structures such as RNA or specific types of proteins. The choice of dye depends on the research goals and the type of information needed from the staining process.

Back