The Secrets of Prof. Verschure's Rosetta Stones

In summary, this summer, as a present to myself for being promoted, I purchased a collection of thin sections that Prof. Rob Verschure, who at the time was faculty in the Geological Institute in Amsterdam, published his findings on. Many of the collected samples have been fully characterized, for example this thin section of a carbonatite: Sample Hor 1 has been classified as a calcite-bearing clinopyroxene-hornblende lamprophyre that has been dated to 313 Ma. This sample contains abundant augite and brown hornblende. This sample (Fen 23) consists of zoned biotite and carbonates, dated to 594 Ma: Many of the samples are carbonatites, but there
This sample is also a melteigite:

Fen 13 ii.JPG

This sample consists of subhedral elongated grains of aegirine-augite, diopside, and apatite in a groundmass of (altered) nepheline, calcite, and titanite:

DSC_3729.jpg

DSC_3730.jpg

Nepheline altered to chlorite and sericite/muscovite (below, surrounded by apatite grains) so this sample is probably F2 fenitized to some degree.

DSC_3726.jpg
Altered nepheline (center, below) contains small crystals of (possibly) epidote, if true then presence implies hydrothermal alteration.

DSC_3708.jpg

A higher-magnification XP view of the crystalline inclusions- one in the upper left has the characteristic habit:
DSC_3720.jpg

Some calcite in veins. Opaques: grains and a few “skeletal” arrangements of needlelike grains (ilmenite? magnetite? (60 degree symmetry? 90 degree symmetry? reflecting the primary mineral?) filled with pyroxene, calcite, and cryptocrystalline (probably)TiO2. These features are really striking and can best be seen with epi-darkfield imaging:

DSC_3741.jpg

DSC_3740.jpg

Biotite replaced with chlorite (anomalous blue birefringence), here with (F2?) titanite (very high relief) and pyroxene (high relief), a grain of carbonatite on the lower right:

DSC_3727.jpg

DSC_3728.jpg

Sample lacks melanite (see below).

From a relevant paper: Ijolites and melteigites (mela-ijolites)consist of euhedral prismatic crystals of clinopyroxene and apatite set in a matrix of nepheline and minor calcite. Sphene and strongly zoned (5-12% TiO2) melanite are common accessories. Pyroxenes are pleochroic in shades of light yellow-green to apple- green. Colorless to light brown cores of Al-diopside can be found, but the bulk of the pyroxenes are low Ti, low Al, Na-rich diopsides. The compositional zoning is one of Na and Fe enrichment along an aegirine-hedenbergite trend similar to that determined for the urtite pyroxenes, e.g.Di70Hd20Aeg10 to Di40Hd40Aeg20. Pyroxenes from ijolites which contain melanite are richer in Na and Fe on average than pyroxenes from rocks which lack melanite.

Likes Bystander
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I originally thought this sample was also a melteigite:

Fen 12 ii.JPG

because it superficially looks like the other samples. However, it's actually a pyroxene-hornblendite (or a hornblende-pyroxenite), an ultramafic rock lacking quartz and feldspar that consists of nearly equal amounts of hornblende and clinopyroxene (most likely a mix of diopside and augite):

DSC_4162.jpg

DSC_4163.jpg

The transparent minerals are apatite and carbonate, likely calcite. While this sample is about 5% apatite, the other Fen 12 sample I have is closer to 15% apatite. But that sample doesn't have photogenic crystals of hornblende:

DSC_4548.jpg

DSC_4549.jpg

Both hornblende and pyroxene grains are anhedral poikiolitic containing mostly apatite chadacrysts, but there are also pyroxene and biotite chadacrysts. Since everything is sub- or anhedral, I'm not sure if these are proper 'chadacrysts' or just inclusions. Hornblende is also a hydrothermal metamorphic product of pyroxene, so pyroxene inclusions could indicate incomplete alteration of the pyroxene. A couple of higher magnification views of the central inclusions above, showing apatite and clinopyroxene:

DSC_4568.jpg

DSC_4569.jpg

The opaques are interesting. They are a mix of red hematite (in veinlets), Illmenite (steel grey), magnetite (yellow/gold), and (I think) cryptocrystalline Titanium dioxide (white):

DSC_4575.jpg

DSC_4578.jpg

A super-duper magnification view of the lower right- these grains are tiny! Solidification must have happened extremely rapidly... but it's not a glass.

DSC_4579.jpg

Likes Bystander
Instead of discussing another sample from the Fen complex, I want to present a sample from Crabtree Mine, in NC:

DSC_1871.JPG

The nearby town of Spruce Pine has been in the news recently; Hurricane Helene dumped about 20 inches of rain into the area around Asheville which has frankly devastated the entire region. My family and I were vacationing there 14 months ago, and we took a side trip to the Crabtree emerald mine:
https://www.emeraldvillage.com/mines-activities/crabtree-emerald-mine/

I knew the area was full of interesting mineral deposits and opportunities for "rock hounding" (https://www.mindat.org/loc-26957.html), because the prior time I visited (also Crabtree) I was about 12 years old, pretty much when this picture was taken:

Crabtree 1981.jpg

That's a load of emerald ore coming up from the mine for us 'civilians' to work through. All of those rocks you see in the image are pegmatite bearing large crystals of tourmaline, mica, cancrinite, beryl... and the occasional emerald . I have vivid memories of the place and was happy to re-visit the area. Even so, I was unaware that the region supplies most of the world's semiconductor industry with pure quartz (the Spruce Pine mine). I can't imagine what the area looks like now.... we joke about how flooding refreshed the mine dumps, but when I think about the people who live and work at Emerald village, or Little Switzerland, or the 1 1/2-lane roads that snake up and down the mountains... it's bad right now.

The region's geology mostly consists of a large intrusion of pegmatite, and the sample I have is primarily plagioclase containing abundant tourmaline (schorl). Last year I sent the sample off to Van Petro (https://www.vanpetro.com/) who prepared the thin section:

DSC_4648.jpg

DSC_4649.jpg

DSC_4650.jpg

DSC_4651.jpg

I would classify this particular rock as quartz-diorite, and the plagioclase often shows deformation twinning.

Confirmation of tourmaline- top row is PP, bottom is XP:

Montage.jpg

The top row shows pleochroism, the bottom shows extinction at 0 degrees- these properties are confirmatory for tourmaline.

One odd aspect about the plagioclase is that some of the grains are sort of blue-grey, while others are sort of yellow-brown. It's hard to show in photos, but hopefully you can see the faint colors, even in PP.

DSC_4668.jpg

DSC_4670.jpg

And finally, a grain of (what could be) ultrapure quartz:

DSC_4667.jpg

Anyhow, I hope the residents are able to recover.

Likes Bystander
This is an example of Damtjernite from the type locality Damtjern:

DSC_0949.JPG

Quoting from various papers:

“Damkjernites from the type locality at Damtjern are lamprophyric rocks containing phenocrysts of red-brown titanian phlogopite, yellow-brown titanian pargasite (amphibole), and clinopyroxene set in a groundmass of brown-green ferropargasite, pyroxene, green phlogopite, manganoan ilmenite, ulvospinel-magnetiite, and calcite."

Damtjernites are not found anywhere else in Norway, but they seem to be similar to Alnöites. Superficially they are similar to kimberlites, but there are significant differences in mineral content that argues against any simple relationship. In fact, the various damtjernite dikes surrounding the Fen complex all have very different appearances.

DSC_4580.jpg

In the above view, a large pyroxene phenocryst is in the upper right corner, directly next to a grain of titanian phlogopite (pink-purple). Also visible are several zoned pyroxene phenocrysts (brown, mantled by yellow) and calcite. I'll zoom in on the bright purple phenocryst shortly.

Starting with the groundmass:

Montage.jpg

The opaques are Ilmenite, and it's (barely) possible to distinguish the amphibole and pyroxene by end facet angles- for example, in the center several of the grains show 60-degree angles (amphibole). The groundmass is also rich in carbonates. The grains in the upper left corner and lower right corner could be amphibole overgrown with pyroxene.

Zoned titanian phlogopite seems to be one diagnostic of Damtjernite. In PP, the grains are extremely pleochroic (clear - dark red/brown) and in XP, they are a bright turquoise:

Montage2.jpg

In addition to titanian phlogopite, the complex pyroxene phenocrysts are another diagnostic.

DSC_4599.jpg

DSC_4604.jpg

"The pyroxene phenocrysts are composed of anhedral pale green cores mantled by anhedral to subhedral overgrowths of purple-brown pyroxenes. The pale green phenocryst cores are Al-Na diopsides which exhibit a wide range in Al content coupled with a low Ti content, i.e.the pyroxenes are rich in CaAl2SiO6 and poor in CaTiAl2O6. The Al-Na diopsides are complexly zoned with respect to Al2O3, which either increases or decreases from core to margin within individual crystals. The pyroxenes which mantle the Al-Na diopsides and which form the ground mass pyroxenes are Ti-Al salites (salite = Fe-bearing diopside), strongly zoned with increasingTi and Al from core to margin (Table l, anal. 6-9). This zoning reflects an increase in the CaAl2SiO6 component at the expense of the CaTiAl2O6. component.

Another example of complexly-zoned pyroxene phenocryst- I checked the extinction angle to verify this is pyroxene and not amphibole:

Montage3.jpg

Another odd feature found in this sample (and a few other samples) are acicular masses of pyroxene surrounding a calcite phenocryst:

DSC_4633.jpg

DSC_4634.jpg

I like how the calcite looks like soap bubbles...

Finally, the opaques can also have a complex character. I believe this image shows ilmenite (the dark grey) lined with pyrite or magnetite (the bright yellow) and titanium dioxide:

DSC_4647.jpg

I've identified 40 different examples of damtjernite in the collection, I hope to spend some time going through the different localities because the samples do show significant variations.

Likes Bystander
This next example of damtjernite comes from Brånan:

Bra 2.JPG

While there are some differences between Damtjern-damtjernite and Brånan-damtjernite, there are some similarities. For example, the presence of zoned titanian phlogopite:

DSC_6433.jpg

DSC_6434.jpg

and complexly-zoned pyroxenes (top of frame, titanian phlogopite on bottom):

DSC_8464.jpg

DSC_8466.jpg

From one of the papers: “The damtjernite dike near Brånan (Werenskiold 1910), 20 km NNW of the Fen complex, is also similar in appearance. The rock, which has been described by Brogger (1921) and Griffin & Taylor (1975), consists of phenocrysts of zoned augite, zoned biotite and aggregates of carbonate in a groundmass of pyroxene, biotite, opaques, melanite, sericitic pseudomorphs after nepheline, apatite and carbonate. Biotite produces a K-Ar age of 594 ± 20 Ma. “

I didn't find any melanite or sericritic pseudomorphs in this sample. In any case, the zoned pyroxenes are probably the most striking thing to image, the lower right image also has a crystal of phlogopite on the left side:

Montage.jpg

Another striking feature- I like how the artist made use of negative space within this calcite ocellus:

DSC_1500.jpg

DSC_1499.jpg

At higher magnification, we see the dark spots are not just opaques but something else (I don't know what...):

DSC_8455.jpg

And finally, at super-duper magnification, I found what seems to be a metal oxide (likely ilmenite) partially covering the tip of a (likely) pyroxene crystallite- note how some of the dark spots are out of focus, so this really is a three-dimensional structure:

DSC_8470.jpg

More to come...

Likes Bystander
Back