The sensitivity of the galvanometer

In summary, the sensitivity of the galvanometer is defined as the scale deflection per unit current intensity passing through its coil. This is related to the torque, which is determined by the angle between the normal to the coil and the magnetic field lines. However, since the angular displacement of the face of the coil is equal to the angular displacement of the normal to the coil, the angle used in the sensitivity formula should be 60 degrees instead of 30 degrees. This is because at zero current, the angle between the face of the coil and the field lines is zero, and the angular displacement of the face of the coil will be equal to the angular displacement of the normal to the coil.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

AsKyV.jpg

Homework Equations

sensitivity= θ/i

The Attempt at a Solution

That's the answer in my textbook:
Sensitivity = θ/i = 60/30 = 2 deg/mA

But I wonder why it used the angle 60 (the angle between the coil face and the field lines) instead of the angle 30 (the angle between the normal to the coil and the field lines)?
The textbook defines the sensitivity of the galvanometer as:
"The scale deflection per unit current intensity passing through its coil."

I think that the scale deflection is related to the torque (in case of a current carring coil rotates in a magnetic field) and according to its formula:
τ=BiAN sinθ (where B is the magnetic flux density, i is current intensity, A is the cross section area, N is the number of turns and θ is the angle between the normal to the plane and the magnetic field lines).
I think we need to use the angle (30) to determine the sensitivity of the galvanometer, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe θ in sensitivity is the angular displacement of the pointer (or the moving coil).
At zero current, the angle between face of the coil and magnetic field lines is zero.

cnh1995 said:
I believe θ in sensitivity is the angular displacement of the pointer (or the moving coil).
At zero current, the angle between face of the coil and magnetic field lines is zero.
Then we should use the angle 60?!

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Then we should use the angle 60?!
Yes. Because the angular displacement of the face of the coil will be equal to the angular displacement of the normal to the plane of the coil. So if the face of the coil moves through 60 degrees, the normal too moves through 60 degrees. Hence, its angle reduces to 30 degrees from initial 90 degrees.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad

Related to The sensitivity of the galvanometer

What is a galvanometer?

A galvanometer is a device used to measure small electric currents. It typically consists of a coil of wire suspended between the poles of a permanent magnet and can detect and measure even very small amounts of current.

How sensitive is a galvanometer?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer refers to its ability to detect and measure small electric currents. The higher the sensitivity, the smaller the current that can be detected and measured. This is typically measured in units of microamps (μA) or milliamps (mA).

What factors affect the sensitivity of a galvanometer?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer can be affected by various factors, including the strength of the magnet, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the circuit. The type and material of the wire used in the coil can also impact sensitivity.

How is the sensitivity of a galvanometer measured?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer is typically measured by applying a known current to the device and observing the deflection of the needle or pointer. The more the needle moves, the more sensitive the galvanometer is considered to be.

Why is the sensitivity of a galvanometer important?

The sensitivity of a galvanometer is important because it allows for the precise measurement of small electric currents. This is particularly useful in scientific experiments and in fields such as electronics and medicine where accurate current measurements are necessary.