The Standard Model: Unified Forces or Unanswered Questions?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an article from the Open Questions website that addresses the problems with the standard model in physics. The model successfully unifies two forces, but still has shortcomings and unanswered questions. The website's author, Charles Daney, is praised for his broad range of knowledge and ability to critically analyze and explain complex topics.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.openquestions.com/oq-ph009.htm

I found this article and it has helped me understand the problems.

Nevertheless, physicists realized that their work was far from complete, and that the standard model left a great many questions unanswered. We have described these questions in some detail elsewhere (such as the pages listed at the top).

It was seen that, at the same time, a number of both the key successes as well as the chief shortcomings were to be found in the way that fundamental forces were unified. Here unification means, specifically, that two (or more) forces previously considered distinct can actually be described by the same equations. And, further, that these equations are invariant under symmetry operations that exchange distinct fundamental particles. That is, as far as the equations are concerned, an electron and a neutrino (for instance) behave substantially the same.

One of the primary entries in the success column for the standard model is the unified theory of the electroweak force. Yet this same theory illustrates some of the shortcomings. The symmetry between the forces is broken because the electromagnetic force and the weak force don't have the same strength and because otherwise similar particles (such as electrons and neutrinos) have quite different masses. Further, the unification itself isn't as seamless as it could be. One of the key parameters of the theory – the electroweak mixing angle which describe how the forces combine – is not specified by the theory, but instead can be determined only by experiment.

So. The standard model showed that two seemingly distinct forces could be successfully unified in a single, elegant mathematical theory. But at the same time, physicists still had a lot of explaining to do, in terms of how to clean up the unification of the electromagnetic and weak forces, and then to go further and add the strong force into the mix

Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
http://www.openquestions.com/oq-ph009.htm

I found this article and it has helped me understand the problems...

Great site!
I like the page you linked to, wolram, and I also checked out other parts of OQ and Charles Daney's blog.
He strikes me as a world-class ecclectic science writer pack-rat. He covers a lot of fields and brings in curious information from a lot of places.
I can't guarantee or subscribe to everything at his OQ site 100%---he's a generalist rather than an authority on anyone topic--but that said
it's pretty impressive how critically perceptive he is, and the broad range of interesting stuff he gathers and his talent for organizing and explaining.
Since my impression was generally positive, I would appreciate it if anybody finds some place where he's not so good (to help balance out).
Thanks for the find!

Last edited:

Related to The Standard Model: Unified Forces or Unanswered Questions?

What are open questions?

Open questions are questions that require more than a simple yes or no answer. They are designed to encourage discussion and allow for a variety of responses and opinions.

What are the benefits of asking open questions?

Asking open questions can lead to deeper and more meaningful conversations, as well as a better understanding of different perspectives and ideas. They can also promote critical thinking and creativity.

How can open questions be used in scientific research?

In scientific research, open questions can be used to gather qualitative data and explore complex phenomena. They can also be used to generate hypotheses and guide further investigations.

What are some examples of open questions in science?

Some examples of open questions in science include "What is the underlying cause of climate change?" and "How can we improve the effectiveness of cancer treatments?" These questions require more than a simple factual answer and allow for a variety of interpretations and responses.

How can open questions be distinguished from closed questions?

Open questions can be distinguished from closed questions by their use of words like "how," "why," and "what," as well as their ability to elicit a range of responses rather than a single answer. Closed questions, on the other hand, typically have a limited set of possible answers, such as "yes" or "no."