The suffers that great mathematicians had

• Thread starter drake
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to learn about the lives of famous mathematicians and their beginnings, as well as the suggestion to read biographies and other resources to gain a better understanding of their journeys. It is noted that one must be dedicated and constantly practicing mathematics to become a skilled mathematician. Several recommended biographies are also mentioned.
drake
Hi :)
I'm a math student and I like reading lives of mathematicians. And I want to learn how Gauss, Erdos, Hilbert etc. started, what were the problems at first, how did they overcome? I want to be a mathematician if I can handle it, and I really want to learn how to be a good, a skilled mathematician. I wonder if they had diaries :) Thanks and have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
All the people you mention have copious personal and public writings.
You will find many fine biographies of all these people in a decent library, and there are online summaries which can provide a starting place from which you can refine your queries.

It is quite unlikely that you will have the same or even similar challenges to them tough.
i.e. http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Gauss.html, for instance, was a child prodigy who had aristocratic patronage.

I spent too much time reading biographies & "philosophy of mathematics" in my UG days, and ended up with a good rather than *very* good degree. A good mathematician is someone who always comes top of the class in UG, or at least, if Gauss is a classmate, is almost top, and on target for a very good "first". If you aren't of that standard, then you need to do more mathematics, not read biographies.

I have been told that Men of Mathematics is a great book. Some other noteworthy mentions..

The man who knew infinity : A Life Of The Genius Ramanujan.
My brain is open : The Mathematical Journeys Of Paul Erdos.
Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians

Amazon stocks a lot of great Mathematician biographies. I also agree with mal4mac. The only way you can become good at it is to really immerse yourself into it and do more mathematics.

I can understand your interest in the lives of mathematicians and their struggles. It is important to remember that behind every successful mathematician, there is a journey filled with challenges and setbacks. Many great mathematicians, such as Gauss, Erdos, and Hilbert, faced difficulties in their early years as they were developing their skills and understanding of mathematics.

One of the common struggles that mathematicians face is the lack of recognition and understanding of their work by others. It takes a lot of perseverance and determination to continue pursuing a field that may not be widely appreciated by society. Additionally, the process of solving complex mathematical problems can be mentally and emotionally exhausting, requiring intense concentration and focus for extended periods of time. This can be mentally draining and can lead to feelings of frustration and self-doubt.

However, what sets great mathematicians apart is their ability to persist through these challenges and continue to push the boundaries of mathematical knowledge. They often find motivation and inspiration in their love for the subject and the satisfaction of solving difficult problems. They also have a strong support system, whether it be through collaborations with other mathematicians or engaging in discussions with peers and mentors.

In terms of diaries, while it is not certain if these mathematicians kept personal diaries, there are certainly many writings and letters that provide insight into their thought processes and struggles. Reading about their experiences can be helpful in understanding the mindset and determination required to excel in mathematics.

In conclusion, becoming a skilled mathematician is not an easy task, but with dedication, perseverance, and a passion for the subject, it is certainly achievable. I wish you all the best in your journey to becoming a mathematician and encourage you to never give up on your dreams.

Related to The suffers that great mathematicians had

1. What are some common struggles faced by great mathematicians?

Great mathematicians often face challenges such as self-doubt, isolation, and the pressure to constantly produce groundbreaking work.

2. How did these struggles affect their work?

These struggles can lead to periods of frustration and burnout, making it difficult for mathematicians to focus and produce their best work. However, some also argue that these struggles can also drive them to push the boundaries and make significant contributions to the field.

3. Can these struggles be overcome?

Yes, with determination and support, these struggles can be overcome. Many mathematicians have found ways to cope with their struggles, such as collaborating with others, seeking mentorship, and taking breaks to recharge.

4. Are there any well-known examples of great mathematicians who faced significant struggles?

Yes, many great mathematicians have faced struggles in their careers. Srinivasa Ramanujan, for example, faced poverty and health issues but still made groundbreaking contributions to number theory. Alan Turing, known for his work in computer science and code-breaking during World War II, also faced discrimination and persecution due to his sexual orientation.

5. How can we support and encourage mathematicians who are going through struggles?

We can support and encourage mathematicians by providing a supportive and inclusive community, promoting work-life balance, and recognizing and celebrating their achievements. It is also important to acknowledge and address any systemic barriers or biases that may contribute to these struggles.