The torque of motor required to start a car moving.

In summary, to design an off-road car from scratch, you need to properly size the motor taking into account factors such as static friction, kinetic friction, air drag, gear efficiencies, and orientations of planes. To start the car moving, you also need to consider issues related to compression type deformations and stiction. The torque required from the motor can be calculated by multiplying the radius of the wheel by the total static frictional forces for all four wheels.
andelony
Hi, everyone. I am assigned a school project to design a off-road car from scratch. In order to do that, i need to size the motor effectively. I understand that power depends on the following factors: static friction, kinetic friction, air drag, gear efficiencies and orientations of planes. In addition, i know that in order to start a car moving, i need to overcome the static friciton, and from there, i need to find the starting torque required from the motor to start the car moving.
Below is my assumed working:

total static frictional forces (for 4 wheels) = coefficient of friction*weight of car
total torque = r*F = radius of wheel * frictional force.

This would be the torque i need to size my motor. Am i correct? Please advise me. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
To keep a car moving, you need to overcome rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, and losses within the drivetrain. To start a car moving, you need to overcome some issues related to compression type deformations that can occur when a car sits for a while. For example, the tires get a mild type of flat spot, more so if it's cold. Then there's something we in the USA call "stiction" where parts sort of get stuck together after not moving for a while, mostly if there's some compressive load on the surfaces. I'm not aware of the math for this.

Static friction just refers to the coefficient of grip at the tires when they're still or rolling and doesn't refer to the rolling resistance that opposes rolling motion.

Related to The torque of motor required to start a car moving.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, or the ability of a force to cause an object to rotate around an axis.

What is the torque of a motor?

The torque of a motor is the amount of rotational force it can produce, typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

How is torque related to starting a car?

The torque of a motor is essential for starting a car because it is responsible for turning the engine and getting the car in motion. Without enough torque, the engine will not be able to overcome the inertia of the car and start it moving.

What factors affect the torque required to start a car?

The torque required to start a car is affected by several factors, including the weight of the car, the type and size of the engine, the friction between the tires and the road, and the slope of the road.

How is the torque of a motor determined for a specific car?

The torque of a motor required to start a specific car can be determined by calculating the amount of force needed to overcome the car's weight, friction, and other factors mentioned above. This can vary depending on the specific car and its conditions, such as the type of terrain it is starting on.