The triangle inequality in CHSH, where is the triangle?

In summary, the CHSH inequality is a theorem about distances for a single triangle, where the sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the remaining side. In the CHSH setup, X and Y from the triangle inequality correspond to four different expectation values. The purpose of the CHSH inequality is to make it easy to conduct Bell tests, but it does not involve any new theory. The CHSH barrier of S=2 is arbitrary and can be seen through examples of negative probabilities. A basic understanding of the EPR problem and Bell's theorem is necessary for further discussion.
johana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHSH_inequality#Bell.27s_1971_derivation

The last step of the CHSH inequality derivation is to apply the triangle inequality. I see there are relative polarization angles, but I don't see any sides have defined length to make up a triangle. Where is the triangle?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrChinese said:
|X+Y|<=|X| + |Y|
or
|X-Y|<=|X| + |Y|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_inequality

The triangle inequality, a theorem about distances for anyone single triangle, where the sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the remaining side.

330px-TriangleInequality.svg.png

On the other hand CHSH inequality is combined from four relative angles between four polarization axis, each pair in their own separate planes a,a' and b,b'. Here we see all of them projected as if they were in the same plane:

bases.png

|X-Y|<=|X| + |Y|

What does X and Y from the triangle inequality correspond to in this CHSH setup?

26a56c0d3c312cf050f75a4e3ade5126.png

Instead of one triangle with two sides of certain length, we have four different some things which are called "expectation value". What does X and Y from the triangle inequality correspond to here? How many meters in length is expectation value E(0, 22.5)?

johana said:
|X-Y|<=|X| + |Y|

What does X and Y from the triangle inequality correspond to in this CHSH setup?

Left is left, right is right. Just look at the equations and I think you can make the correspondence. Note that on the right side, the absolute value is not made because the specification is given that the result of each component is non-negative and therefore >=0.

Now ask yourself, why I am worrying about the CHSH inequality if I don't understand Bell's Theorem? The purpose of the inequality is to make it easy to conduct Bell tests. Nothing more. There is no new theory involved.

The CHSH barrier of S=2 is completely arbitrary. You can see how arbitrary these numbers are by looking at my page called "Bell's Theorem and Negative Probabilities."

http://www.drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Negative_Probabilities.htm

It shows a specific example whereby the probability for a specific set of outcomes is as follows:

a. Local realistic expectation: >=0%
b. QM expectation: -10.36%

Which do you think is correct, a or b? Please note that there is nothing magical about the -10.36% prediction of QM, it is simply a function of how I set up the equation.

I'm locking this thread. As DrChinese points above, there's no point in going around in circles on the CHSH inequality until we have a basic understanding of the EPR problem and Bell's theorem and inequality.

FAQ: The triangle inequality in CHSH, where is the triangle?

1. What is the triangle inequality in CHSH?

The triangle inequality in CHSH (Clauser, Horne, Shimony, and Holt inequality) is a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to determine the maximum possible value that can be obtained from certain measurements on entangled particles. It is often used to test the validity of Bell's theorem.

2. How is the triangle inequality related to entanglement?

The triangle inequality is closely related to entanglement, which is the phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other(s), even when they are separated by large distances. The triangle inequality helps to quantify the strength of this entanglement by determining the maximum value that can be obtained from certain measurements on the entangled particles.

3. Where can the triangle inequality be found in CHSH?

The triangle inequality in CHSH can be found in the Bell's inequality equation, which is used to test the validity of Bell's theorem. The Bell's inequality equation consists of three measurements, and the triangle inequality is satisfied when the sum of the measurements is less than or equal to two.

4. Can the triangle inequality be violated?

Yes, the triangle inequality can be violated in certain situations, particularly when dealing with entangled particles. This violation is a key aspect of Bell's theorem, which states that no local hidden variable theory can reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics. Violation of the triangle inequality is therefore considered a strong evidence for the existence of entanglement.

5. How does the triangle inequality in CHSH affect quantum computing?

The triangle inequality in CHSH is an important aspect of quantum mechanics and entanglement, which are essential components of quantum computing. The ability to violate the triangle inequality in experiments has led to the development of quantum computing algorithms that are highly efficient for certain tasks, such as factorization and searching. Moreover, the violation of the triangle inequality can also be used to demonstrate the security of quantum key distribution, a crucial aspect of quantum cryptography.