The Uncertainty of Size in Subatomic Particles

• Thread starter kwestion
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of discrete particles has been replaced by the idea of a wave-packet with an uncertain boundary in the subatomic world. However, some sources still make statements about the size of subatomic particles, such as having a size smaller than 10^-M meters. It is possible to determine the size of a particle based on the area where the probability density of subparticles is high enough. This is commonly seen in atomic orbitals. However, for standalone elementary particles like an electron, there is a conflict between the idea of a point-like width and an uncertain boundary.
kwestion
What is, and is not meant, by size when it comes to the subatomic world?

The FAQ's of this forum, and a wikipedia article I read recently seem to agree that "the very notion of a discrete 'particle' has been ultimately replaced by the concept of something like wave-packet of an uncertain boundary".

I think I like that statement, but I still read from time to time that subatomic particle P has size less than 10^-M meters, for example. How would one conclude that without assuming a certain boundary? In what ways do these size statements have meaning and in what ways do they not have meaning subatomically?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that a good measure for the size of a particle is the size of an area where the probability density of subparticles (that construct the original particle) is high enough. Example are atomic orbitals: they are defined as the volume that has 95% chance to contain electron (although complete definition should also say that the volume drops 5% of the space with minimal probability density).

Okay, that sounds reasonable for compound particles.
If I have an elementary subparticle, say, a standalone electron. I think I'm supposed to be able to accept a zero, point-like width on one hand, and also accept an uncertain boundary on the other hand. A point seems to be an absolutely certain boundary, so I don't understand the apparent conflict in the language.

FAQ: The Uncertainty of Size in Subatomic Particles

What is the meaning of size in subatomic?

The concept of size in subatomic particles refers to their physical dimensions or extent in space. This is usually measured in terms of their radius or diameter.

How is size determined in subatomic particles?

Size in subatomic particles is determined by their interactions with other particles, such as through scattering experiments. This allows scientists to estimate their physical dimensions.

Why is size important in understanding subatomic particles?

Size is important because it provides insights into the structure and behavior of subatomic particles. It also helps in understanding their interactions and properties.

Can subatomic particles change in size?

Yes, subatomic particles can change in size under certain conditions, such as high energy collisions or when they are in different energy states. This phenomenon is known as size fluctuation.

How does the concept of size differ in subatomic particles compared to macroscopic objects?

In subatomic particles, size is not a fixed and well-defined concept like in macroscopic objects. It is subject to uncertainties and can vary depending on the measurement method used.