The Unique Limit of a Complex Function

In summary, the limit of a complex function is unique, but it can be difficult to see how to get to the limit.
Calu

Homework Statement

I'm struggling with the proof that the limit of a complex function is unique. I'm struggling to see how |L-f(z*)| + |f(z*) - l'| < ε + ε is obtained.

Homework Equations

0 < |z-z0| < δ implies |f(z) - L| < ε, where L is the limit of f(z) as z→z0 .

The Attempt at a Solution

Let S ⊆ ℂ.

We consider some L' ≠ L, a limit of the function f(z) as z→z0. Choose ε = 1/2|L-L'| to find δ1 > 0, δ2 > 0 such that

z ∈ S, 0 < |z-z0| < δ1 implies |f(z) - L| < ε
z ∈ S, 0 < |z-z0| < δ2 implies |f(z) - L'| < ε

Note that z0 is a limit point, so there exists some z* ∈ S such that 0 < |z0 - z*| < min {δ1, δ2}. Then

|L-L'| = |L-f(z*) + f(z*) - L'| ≤ |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*) - L'| < ε + ε.

This is the part where I get confused. I don't see how we can say that |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*)- L'| < ε + ε.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calu said:

Homework Statement

I'm struggling with the proof that the limit of a complex function is unique. I'm struggling to see how |L-f(z*)| + |f(z*) - l'| < ε + ε is obtained.

Homework Equations

0 < |z-z0| < δ implies |f(z) - L| < ε, where L is the limit of f(z) as z→z0 .

The Attempt at a Solution

Let S ⊆ ℂ.

We consider some L' ≠ L, a limit of the function f(z) as z→z0. Choose ε = 1/2|L-L'| to find δ1 > 0, δ2 > 0 such that

z ∈ S, 0 < |z-z0| < δ1 implies |f(z) - L| < ε
z ∈ S, 0 < |z-z0| < δ2 implies |f(z) - L'| < ε

Note that z0 is a limit point, so there exists some z* ∈ S such that 0 < |z0 - z*| < min {δ1, δ2}. Then

|L-L'| = |L-f(z*) + f(z*) - L'| ≤ |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*) - L'| < ε + ε.

This is the part where I get confused. I don't see how we can say that |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*)- L'| < ε + ε.
Both |L - f(z*)| and |f(z*) - L'| are smaller than ε, so their sum would be smaller than 2ε. Is that the part you're confused on?
Or are you confused about how they went from |L-f(z*) + f(z*) - L'| to |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*) - L'|?

Mark44 said:
Both |L - f(z*)| and |f(z*) - L'| are smaller than ε, so their sum would be smaller than 2ε. Is that the part you're confused on?
Or are you confused about how they went from |L-f(z*) + f(z*) - L'| to |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*) - L'|?

That is the part I'm confused on. I realize that they must be smaller than ε, I just don't see how they are.

Calu said:
That is the part I'm confused on. I realize that they must be smaller than ε, I just don't see how they are.
Since both L and L' are assumed to be the limits, it has to be the case that |f(z*) - L| < ε and that |f(z*) - L'| < ε. Most of the limit proofs work backwards from this conclusion to determine what the δ needs to be.

Mark44 said:
Which one? I listed two of the points where I though you might be having difficulties.

Sorry, I thought I'd deleted part of the quote. This is the part I'm confused about:
Mark44 said:
Both |L - f(z*)| and |f(z*) - L'| are smaller than ε, so their sum would be smaller than 2ε.

I realize that they must be smaller than ε, I just don't see how they are.

See my edited post. I changed it after I wrote it.

I think this is where I'm confused: In the first part there is |L - f(z*)| < ε, whereas you've written that is has to be the case that |f(z*) - L| < ε. Are the two equivalent? I see now how |f(z*) - l'| < ε and |f(z*) - l'| < ε must be true as they come from the definition of the limit. However, we have |L - f(z*)|.

Calu said:
I think this is where I'm confused: In the first part there is |L - f(z*)| < ε, whereas you've written that is has to be the case that |f(z*) - L| < ε. Are the two equivalent?
The two are equal.
It's always the case that |a - b| = |b - a|.
Calu said:
I see now how |f(z*) - l'| < ε and |f(z*) - l'| < ε must be true as they come from the definition of the limit. However, we have |L - f(z*)|.

Mark44 said:
The two are equal.
It's always the case that |a - b| = |b - a|.

Thanks very much for your help.

Related to The Unique Limit of a Complex Function

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes in complex numbers as its input and outputs complex numbers. It can be represented as f(z), where z is a complex number.

2. What is the unique limit of a complex function?

The unique limit of a complex function refers to the value that the function approaches as its input (z) approaches a certain complex number, usually denoted by a. This value is unique and independent of the path taken to approach a.

3. How is the unique limit of a complex function different from the limit of a real function?

The unique limit of a complex function is different from the limit of a real function in that for complex functions, the limit must hold true for all possible paths taken to approach the complex number a. This is known as the uniqueness property of complex limits.

4. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation and how is it related to the unique limit of a complex function?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of two partial differential equations that must be satisfied for a complex function to be differentiable at a point. It is related to the unique limit of a complex function because it ensures the existence of a unique limit for all possible paths taken to approach a complex number a.

5. How can the unique limit of a complex function be calculated?

The unique limit of a complex function can be calculated by using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and applying the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the limit of the function as it approaches a complex number a from all possible paths and ensuring that the limit is the same for all paths. If this condition is satisfied, then the unique limit of the complex function exists and is equal to the calculated value.