The use of different bases in QFT

• Thread starter unchained1978
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases Qft
In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of ordinary quantum field theory (QFT) in terms of a Fock basis, where the state vector is represented as a product of single particle states. This results in a Hamiltonian that includes terms for each momentum mode. The question is posed about the difference between this Fock basis and the field basis, which is described by the wavefunctional of the field. The Hamiltonian for a scalar field is also mentioned, but it is unclear how it relates to the Fock basis. The speaker expresses confusion about the different forms of the Hamiltonians and their relationship to quantum states. They ask if anyone can provide clarification and suggest reading Hatfield's QFT book for more information.
unchained1978
In ordinary QFT, everything is formulated in terms of a Fock basis so when we write [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] we mean that this is a product of single particle states covering every momentum mode. This leads to a Hamiltonian that's typically of the form [itex]\hat H=\int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}} [\omega_{k}(\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}+\frac{1}{2}\delta^{3}(0))][/itex].
Is this Fock basis different from the field basis such that [itex]\langle \phi |\psi\rangle=\Psi[\phi][/itex] where [itex]\Psi[\phi][/itex] is the wavefunctional of the field? (I hope that makes sense the way I've asked it). The Hamiltonian seems to have a different form, in the case of a scalar field
[itex]\hat H=\int d^{3}x (-\delta^{2}/\delta \phi^{2}+(\vec\nabla \phi)^{2}+m^{2}\phi^{2})[/itex]
I don't understand very well whether or not these Hamiltonians and quantum states are really describing the same thing, or what the different forms represent. If anyone could enlighten me I would be extremely grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't wish to speculate on an answer, but have you read Hatfield's QFT book ? AFAIK it contains the best presentation on the so-called Schrödinger approach to QFT.

Related to The use of different bases in QFT

1. What are the different bases used in QFT?

In quantum field theory (QFT), there are two commonly used bases: the position basis and the momentum basis. The position basis uses position eigenstates as a basis, while the momentum basis uses momentum eigenstates.

2. How are these bases related to each other?

The position and momentum bases are related through the Fourier transform. The position eigenstates are the Fourier transform of the momentum eigenstates, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of using different bases in QFT?

Using different bases in QFT allows us to describe a quantum system in different ways. The position basis is useful for describing the location of a particle, while the momentum basis is useful for describing the momentum of a particle.

4. Can we use other bases in QFT besides the position and momentum bases?

Yes, there are other bases that can be used in QFT, such as the energy basis and the angular momentum basis. These bases are particularly useful when studying specific physical systems, such as atoms or molecules.

5. Is there a preferred basis in QFT?

No, there is no preferred basis in QFT. The choice of basis depends on the specific problem being studied and the convenience of using a particular basis. However, using different bases can provide different insights into a quantum system and can be advantageous in certain situations.