The VERY, VERY general equation of an ellipsoid - Who knows it?

In summary, the equation of an ellipsoid can be written as a matrix equation. The matrix A is always positive definite, and to rotate an ellipse, you just need to apply a rotation matrix.
Umbra Lupis
I have been asking/looking around for the general equation of an ellipsoid and I am unable to find it anywhere.

Does anyone know what it is?

BTW: What I mean by the general equation of an ellipsoid, one that can be rotated in any way, that is 2 angles of rotation and one that does not have to be centered at the origin. - I know the one for a general ellipse moved from the center. So I don't want this!
[tex]\frac{(x-x_c)^2}{a^2} + \frac{(y-y_c)^2}{b^2} + \frac{(z-z_c)^2}{c^2} = 1[/tex]

If possible could it be in Implicit Cartesian or Spherical Polars form?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
A polynomial of degree 2 in variables x,y,z is ellipsoid or hyperboloid or paraboloid.

[tex]ax^2+by^2+cz^2+dxy+eyz+fzx+gx+hy+iz+j=0[/tex]

There are some inequalities on the coefficients that determine which of the three types it is.

Wow dude thanks for the help!

However, I was wondering if you would not happen to know the inequalities for an ellipsoid? Also, if possible you would not happen to have the equations relating your constants:

a, b, c, d, f, g, h, i, j to the:

xc: center of ellipse in the x-direction
yc: center of ellipse in the y-direction
zc: center of ellipse in the z-direction

xr: equatorial radius in the x-direction
yr: equatorial radius in the y-direction
zr: polar radius in the z-direction

[tex]\gamma[/tex]: the angle of rotation in the xy plane (starting from the positive x-axis, where [tex]0 \leq \gamma < 2\pi[/tex])
[tex]\eta[/tex]: the angle of rotation from the positive z-axis ([tex]0 \leq \eta \leq \pi[/tex])

Though these last two could be expressed as the components of vectors in the x, y, z direction.

At any rate thanks a lot for the equation! You have helped a lot! The stuff above is not such a big deal: though if you happened to have it on hand it would really useful!

Do you know how to use rotation matrices? The equation of an ellipse can be written as a matrix equation:

[tex](\mathbf{x - c})^T \mathbf{A} (\mathbf{x - c}) = 1[/tex]

where x is a column vector (x, y, z), c is a column vector representing the center of the ellipse (xc, yc, zc), and A is a square, symmetric matrix. In your equation in the OP, your matrix A is diagonal, with entries (1/a^2, 1/b^2, 1/c^2).

Now, to rotate your equation to an ellipse in a general orientation, you just need to apply a rotation matrix R as follows:

[tex](\mathbf{x - c})^T \mathbf{R}^T \mathbf{A} \mathbf{R} (\mathbf{x - c}) = 1[/tex]

For an ellipse, the matrix A is always positive definite. For a hyperboloid, it may have signature (1, -1, -1) or (-1, 1, 1).

Thanks!
The matrix form would actually be really cool to use; but I am ignorant of using matrix geometry. If someone could provide explanations and examples of the following, I might be able to understand what to do:

[tex](\mathbf{x - c})^T \mathbf{R}^T \mathbf{A} \mathbf{R} (\mathbf{x - c}) = 1[/tex]

What does the [tex]^T [/tex] mean in the [tex](\mathbf{x - c})^T[/tex] - inverted matrix?
What does a rotation matrix,[tex]\mathbf{R}[/tex], look like - say I wanted to rotate it [tex]\theta[/tex] degrees in the xy-plane and [tex]\phi[/tex] from the z-axis, what would it look like?
Finally what is a square, symmetric matrix, [tex]\mathbf{A}[/tex], what does it do?

Thanks once again to anyone who helps out!

T means Transpose. For rotation matrices and symmetric matrices, try typing those phrases into Google.

Thanks dude!

Related to The VERY, VERY general equation of an ellipsoid - Who knows it?

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a stretched or flattened sphere. It is defined as the surface formed by rotating an ellipse about one of its axes.

2. What is the equation for an ellipsoid?

The general equation for an ellipsoid is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1, where a, b, and c are the radii along the x, y, and z axes respectively.

3. How is this equation different from the equation for a sphere?

The equation for a sphere is (x/a)^2 + (y/a)^2 + (z/a)^2 = 1, where a is the radius. In contrast, the equation for an ellipsoid allows for different radii along each axis, resulting in a stretched or flattened shape.

4. What are some real-world examples of ellipsoids?

Ellipsoids can be found in nature, such as the shape of planets or moons. They are also commonly used in man-made structures, such as satellite antennas and sports equipment like baseballs and footballs.

5. Are there any other equations that can represent an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are other equations that can represent an ellipsoid, such as the parametric form (x = a*cos(u)*cos(v), y = b*cos(u)*sin(v), z = c*sin(u)) and the implicit form (Ax^2 + By^2 + Cz^2 + Dxy + Exz + Fyz + Gx + Hy + Iz + J = 0).