The Weierstrass function's' odd qualities

• I
  • Thread starter rumborak
  • Start date
In summary, the Weierstrass function is a continuous function that is non-differentiable everywhere. This contradicted the common belief at the time, and some questioned if this was due to a looser definition of continuity. However, it is actually a stricter form of continuity known as Hölder continuity, not Lipschitz continuity. This function is an example of a function that is continuous, but not differentiable.
rumborak
I recently stumbled on the Weierstrass function, whose main claim to fame (as I understand it) is to be continuous everywhere, but non-differentiable everywhere as well. Apparently I was in good company with Gauss' and others who assumed that to be impossible!

I guess I'm asking, is this dichotomy mostly down to the loosened definition of continuity, i.e. Hölder continuous instead of Lipschitz continuous? Not that I dispute the validity or use of the former definition, but it certainly would mean that my intuition was correct in the stricter Lipschitz sense.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rumborak said:
I recently stumbled on the Weierstrass function, whose main claim to fame (as I understand it) is to be continuous everywhere, but non-differentiable everywhere as well. Apparently I was in good company with Gauss' and others who assumed that to be impossible!

I guess I'm asking, is this dichotomy mostly down to the loosened definition of continuity, i.e. Hölder continuous instead of Lipschitz continuous? Not that I dispute the validity or use of the former definition, but it certainly would mean that my intuition was correct in the stricter Lipschitz sense.
No, it is continuous in the true sense of the term. But what is d(abs(x))/dx when x=0? The problem with the Weierstrass function is that it has that problem for all x.

According to this discussion, it is Hölder continuous for every ##0<\alpha<1##, but not Lipschitz continuous (which would be ##\alpha=1##).
These are stricter criteria than the regular continuity, however. The function is continuous.

Likes S.G. Janssens
.Scott said:
No, it is continuous in the true sense of the term. But what is d(abs(x))/dx when x=0? The problem with the Weierstrass function is that it has that problem for all x.

Oooh, that is an excellent explanation, thanks a lot. It's been a long time since college math, I had forgotten that a "kink" in a graph is non-differentiable. From there it's not too hard to construct an "only kinks" function.

rumborak said:
Yes, indeed. Even more: By Rademacher's theorem, every Lipschitz continuous function is differentiable almost everywhere, which in a sense is the opposite of being nowhere differentiable.
rumborak said:
From there it's not too hard to construct an "only kinks" function.
It is more difficult than it seems, since the "kinks" have to be everywhere.

In addition to the references given in the link in the post by @mfb , there is also a pair of "Insights" written about it, but they seem to be missing a third part and I have not read them myself. Maybe @jbunniii would like to comment.

Likes mfb

Related to The Weierstrass function's' odd qualities

1. What is the Weierstrass function and why is it significant?

The Weierstrass function, named after mathematician Karl Weierstrass, is an example of a continuous, nowhere differentiable function. This means that it is a function that is continuous at every point, but does not have a derivative at any point. It is significant because it challenges the traditional understanding of calculus and highlights the complexity of mathematical functions.

2. How is the Weierstrass function defined?

The Weierstrass function is defined as follows:
W(x) = Σn=0 to ∞ (a^n * cos(b^n * π * x))
where a and b are constants that satisfy certain conditions. This function is continuous for all values of x, but its derivative is undefined at every point.

3. What makes the Weierstrass function's qualities odd?

The Weierstrass function's qualities are considered odd because it challenges our traditional understanding of calculus. It is continuous and infinitely differentiable at every point, yet it does not have a derivative at any point. This contradicts our intuition about how mathematical functions should behave.

4. How is the Weierstrass function used in mathematics?

The Weierstrass function is mainly used as an example to demonstrate the concept of a continuous, nowhere differentiable function. It is also used in fractal geometry and in the study of chaos theory. In addition, it has applications in physics, specifically in the study of phase transitions in materials.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Weierstrass function?

While the Weierstrass function is primarily used as a mathematical concept, it does have some real-world applications. It has been used in modeling natural phenomena such as coastlines, cloud formations, and river networks. It has also been applied in finance, specifically in the study of fractal patterns in financial data.