Theoretical mathmatics for physics phd

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether a B.S. in theoretical mathematics is necessary for pursuing a PhD in quantum theory/string theory. They mention the different courses they are interested in and the connection between physics and mathematics. The other person suggests talking to the admissions tutor to clarify the differences between the degrees and which would be preferable for their chosen PhD route. They also mention the importance of a strong mathematical background in these fields.
strings235
hey everyone,

If I plan to pursue a physics phd in quantum theory/string theory do you recommend I get a B.S. in theoretical mathematics as well (with linear pde, Fourier anal, and topology, etc.)?

I'm still not sure whether applied or theoretical math is the better choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends upon what specific courses you will be taking in each degree-- for example, in applied, you may be able to take many of the courses you can in theoretical. I'm not really sure what the content of a "theoretical mathematics" course would be though.

jesus christ there's like 5 of these threads already in here

ice109 said:
jesus christ there's like 5 of these threads already in here

Yea, I thought that. It seems that there are a lot of people keen to become theoretical physicists at the moment.

well there actually are categories. I was thinking about discrete mathematics, numerical analysis, dynamical systems, etc. But there are many connections between physics and both applied and theoretical math so I was thinking of taking individual courses and not taking a whole major where I might be studying unnecessary courses.

So are there any specific courses that are needed, useful, or desirable in the fields I mentioned?

Well, I presume the first few years of each degree are pretty much the same; i.e. analysis, calculus, algebra, differential equations, linear algebra, basic probability. You could then look into a course in PDE's, complex analysis. Now, if you really want to do a PhD in quantum gravity (let's not call it string theory, since no one knows what will happen in the next few years!) you'll need to know quantum field theory and general relativity. The former requires quantum theory and special relativity, of which the main mathematical techniques you will need to know are linear algebra and differential equations. The latter requires mathematical knowledge of differential geometry and tensor calculus.

I would suggest that you talk to the admissions tutor at the establishemtn where you wish to undertake study and find out, firstly, the difference between the degrees, and secondly, which would be preferential for you selected PhD route.

thanks. and I was wondering if mathematics can aid in conceptual thought for research. essentially coming up with new ideas in physics through mathematics.

strings235 said:
thanks. and I was wondering if mathematics can aid in conceptual thought for research. essentially coming up with new ideas in physics through mathematics.

that it will not do

strings235 said:

I wouldn't say that you would be able to "come up with new ideas in physics" using solely mathematics (although, of course, it depends what you mean by "mathematics"-- I learned quantum theory and GR as part of my undergrad maths degree). However, a firm grounding in mathematics is imperative. That's why the researchers in these fields are both strong mathematicians, but have a thorough knowledge of the relevant physics also.

FAQ: Theoretical mathmatics for physics phd

1. What is the purpose of studying theoretical mathematics for a physics PhD?

Theoretical mathematics is an essential tool for understanding and describing the laws of nature. As a physicist, having a strong foundation in theoretical mathematics allows you to develop and apply mathematical models to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also enables you to tackle complex problems and make connections between different areas of physics.

2. What are some specific mathematical topics that are important for a physics PhD?

Some important mathematical topics for a physics PhD include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, group theory, and complex analysis. These topics are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, such as motion, forces, and quantum mechanics.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to pursue a physics PhD?

While having a strong background in mathematics is certainly beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many physics PhD programs offer courses in theoretical mathematics to help students develop the necessary skills. However, a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and a willingness to learn and apply new mathematical techniques is important for success in a physics PhD program.

4. How does theoretical mathematics play a role in experimental physics?

Theoretical mathematics is crucial in experimental physics as it allows for the interpretation of experimental data and the development of theories to explain the results. It also helps in designing experiments and predicting outcomes, as well as in analyzing and modeling complex data sets. Theoretical mathematics and experimental physics work hand in hand to advance our understanding of the physical world.

5. Are there any career opportunities for those with a background in theoretical mathematics for physics?

Yes, there are various career opportunities for those with a background in theoretical mathematics for physics. Some common career paths include research positions in academia or industry, where you can apply your mathematical skills to solve complex problems in physics and related fields. Additionally, many industries, such as finance and technology, value individuals with strong mathematical abilities, making a background in theoretical mathematics for physics a valuable asset in a wide range of career opportunities.