Theoretical Physics: Most Precise & Powerful Science

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of precision and predictiveness in various areas of science, particularly in theoretical physics and mathematics. There is a disagreement on what constitutes the most precise and powerful area, with some arguing for physics and others for mathematics. However, it is noted that mathematics is not considered a science and that different areas of physics may have varying levels of predictive power. Ultimately, the question of the most precise area of science is deemed subjective and possibly meaningless.

Which is the most precise area of science?

• Pure Mathmatics

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Theoritcal Physics

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Biology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Computer Science

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Applied Mathmatics / Physics

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
raam86
"Theoretical physics is the most precise predictive powerful area of science we know

The title is a quote of Prof. Neil Turok of The Perimeter Institute in Canada1. I always had the impression physicists tend to "lie" or diminish mathematical rigor.

My point - I always thought mathematics is the most precise .. we know.

*I do appreciate the standard model is considered to be extremely precise but I do not think you can deduct this to be a general rule to all of Theoretical physics.

07'32"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVwirDNFQnI&feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVwirDNFQnI&feature=related#t=07m32s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, so I'll just jump in:

The physics is only as good as the initial assumptions you make.

The key is amending the assumptions based on evidence and then refining the theories stemming from them.

Based on this, I'd say any area can be just as accurate as any other. It all comes down to what initial assumptions you have to make. If it's in an area we don't understand so well, then the assumptions can be way off. If it's in an area we know well then they're going to be more accurate.

Math isn't physics, but in any case it depends on the theory.

raam86 said:
My point - I always thought mathematics is the most precise .. we know.
Is there a special reason you didn't fill this in? Because your answer is right there, maths holds no predictive power in our world.

This is a very strange question/poll, and rather meaningless. For example, what does it mean when one says "the most precise area of science"? And then, somehow, things got changed to "the most precise predictive powerful area of science". This makes zero sense because even in physics, different areas have different predictive power (string theory makes no testable prediction, so how can one call it "powerful", whereas condensed matter theory makes tons of testable and tested predictions).

Furthermore, mathematics isn't science.

Zz.

I see and understand you conjunctures. I also thought the quote made no sense at all.

Mathematics does not make predictions about nature. Science does.

[Off-topic]

The title of this thread reminds me of this:

(.png

[/Off-topic]

Zapperz, Have you seen the clip by the way? 7 minutes 32 seconds in you will see the quote.

I think library science makes more precise predictions than physics. For example in 1990, it was predicted that the Library of Congress would have 142 million books by 2010 for 3 digits of precision. However, in that same year, physicists were predicting that the sun would die out in 5 billion years for only 1 digit of precision. I should add that the number of books in the library of congress did come very close to the 142 million figure confirming the accuracy of the prediction. So far the sun has not died out so we will have to wait 4,999,999,980 years to see how that goes. However, the universe is expanding at a prodigious rate of 70 (km/s)/Mpc and will collide with the sun in 4,999,999,979 years, so we may never find out.

Jimmy Snyder said:
However, the universe is expanding at a prodigious rate of 70 (km/s)/Mpc and will collide with the sun in 4,999,999,979 years, so we may never find out.

The universe will collide with our sun?

That sounds like something I should be really worried about...

Last edited:

jarednjames said:
The universe will collide without sun?

yeah coz the universe is like, really huge, innit? The sun's going to get smooshed.

There's no such thing as an experiment in Math (by definition that'd make it physics) so Math is infinitely inaccurate or infinitely accurate if you like. As for physics the number often held up is the gyromagnetic ratio of an electron which can be calculated from base concepts and has been shown to be accurate (relative to experiment) to 10-11 decimal places. And no, not even in Chemistry and Bio's wildest wet dreams could they approach even close to that level of accuracy from base concepts (i.e. saying the quantity must be this without a single guess and check with the real world)

jarednjames said:
The universe will collide without sun?

Dunno - seems to me if the universe collides without the sun, we don't be affected! :devil:

"Poll Options:
Which is the most precise area of science?"

Only the science that I agree with. :-p :-p

Last edited:

Pure mathematics: saying something about nothing in particular, but in a very precise way.

Last edited:

ZapperZ said:
This is a very strange question/poll, and rather meaningless. For example, what does it mean when one says "the most precise area of science"? And then, somehow, things got changed to "the most precise predictive powerful area of science". This makes zero sense because even in physics, different areas have different predictive power (string theory makes no testable prediction, so how can one call it "powerful", whereas condensed matter theory makes tons of testable and tested predictions).

Furthermore, mathematics isn't science.

Zz.

i was thinking the same

now if you are talking about practical...well even that's too general

Related to Theoretical Physics: Most Precise & Powerful Science

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and concepts to understand and explain the fundamental nature of the universe, without performing experiments or collecting data.

2. How is theoretical physics different from experimental physics?

Theoretical physics focuses on developing theories and mathematical models to explain physical phenomena, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments to gather data and test these theories.

3. Why is theoretical physics considered the most precise and powerful science?

Theoretical physics is considered the most precise and powerful science because it uses mathematical equations to describe and predict the behavior of matter and energy at the most fundamental level. These predictions have been confirmed by experimental results and have led to the development of advanced technologies and our understanding of the universe.

4. What are some key areas of study in theoretical physics?

Some key areas of study in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, particle physics, cosmology, and string theory. These fields seek to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, the largest scales, and the most extreme conditions.

5. What are the potential applications of theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics has numerous potential applications, including the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and advanced materials, improved understanding and treatment of diseases through medical imaging and radiation therapy, and advancements in space exploration and communication technology.