Theory about the end and beginning of the universe.

In summary, the theory says that the force of gravity between objects will diminish over time and eventually the universe will collapse.
scienceislife
I am very new to physics and astronomy, so I don't know much, but I have a theory so tell me what's wrong with it. So assuming the universe is infinite and it continues to expand, as it expands the force of gravity between objects will lessen and eventually matter will no longer have a gravitational force holding them together. Then, without gravity, space time will cause the universe to collapse on itself and the universe will be 'reborn'.

Space news on Phys.org
scienceislife said:
Then, without gravity, space time will cause the universe to collapse on itself and the universe will be 'reborn'.
If there's no gravity, what then causes the universe to collapse?

As gravity decreases, space time increases so then the universe will almost fold on itself.

That doesn't make any sense. Space-time increases?? What is there to increase? What does it mean for the universe to fold in on itself? A few remarks: 1. there is no gravitational force in general relativity and 2. the Einstein field equations only determine the local geometry of space-time, not the global topology.

scienceislife said:
As gravity decreases, space time increases so then the universe will almost fold on itself.
How does spacetime increasing result in the universe folding in on itself?

Because it it increases so quickly, that dimension warps in comparison to the others, however if gravity did 'disappear' many things would be warped. I'm not sure, I just had an idea in my head that wasn't thought through.

This is not the right place to trial balloon a new 'theory'.

scienceislife said:
I am very new to physics and astronomy, so I don't know much, but I have a theory so tell me what's wrong with it. So assuming the universe is infinite and it continues to expand, as it expands the force of gravity between objects will lessen and eventually matter will no longer have a gravitational force holding them together. Then, without gravity, space time will cause the universe to collapse on itself and the universe will be 'reborn'.

I recommend you start by learning something about physics and astronomy! A lot of work has been already done on these subjects, and you might learn some interesting stuff from others.

For the end of the universe , I subscribe to the big freeze theory:
As time progresses and the universe continues to expand, eventually matter will move far enough apart that gravity will no longer be sufficient to pull that matter together to make new stars. One by one the stars will go out and the universe will be pitch black.

this is of course as long as dark energy continues to plug away at a steady rate.

This sounds like what the OP was trying to describe, excluding the portion about the universe being reborn.

Last edited:
DHF said:
this is of course as long as dark energy continues to plug away at a steady rate.
This will happen even if it doesn't -- flat and open decelerating cosmologies also end in heat death.

Related to Theory about the end and beginning of the universe.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory and how does it explain the beginning of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory is the scientific explanation for the beginning of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, which contained all the matter and energy in the universe. This singularity then expanded rapidly, creating the universe as we know it today.

2. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory. One of the strongest pieces of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a faint glow of radiation that is present throughout the universe. This radiation is thought to be leftover from the Big Bang and provides strong support for the theory.

3. How does the Big Bang Theory explain the formation of galaxies and stars?

The Big Bang Theory explains that after the initial expansion of the singularity, the universe continued to expand and cool. As it cooled, matter began to clump together and form galaxies. These galaxies then continued to expand and form stars, which eventually led to the formation of planets and other celestial bodies.

4. What is the role of dark matter and dark energy in the Theory of the end and beginning of the universe?

Dark matter and dark energy are two mysterious substances that make up a large portion of the universe. They have a significant role in the Theory of the end and beginning of the universe, as they help explain the expansion of the universe and the formation of galaxies. Dark energy is thought to be the force driving the expansion of the universe, while dark matter helps hold galaxies together.

5. What is the ultimate fate of the universe according to the Big Bang Theory?

According to the Big Bang Theory, the ultimate fate of the universe depends on the amount of matter and energy it contains. If there is enough matter and energy, the universe will continue to expand forever. However, if there is not enough matter and energy, the universe will eventually stop expanding and begin to contract, leading to a "Big Crunch" where everything is compressed into a singularity once again.