Theory of a Spontaneous Universe

In summary, the theory does not make sense, and does not provide a plausible explanation for the origins of the universe.
spiral
The following theory is something I have been working on. It combines ideas of quantum mechanics to explain the possible source of all phenomena, I really want to see some feedback.

In quantum mechanics we all know that there is always some probability that a particle entering a potential barrier has some probability to tunnel through that barrier. With barrier restrictions, anything becomes possible (although highly improbable).

Now imagine a place outside of existence ruled by only time and probability. In this place conservation of energy is also observed (total energy throughout existence/nonexistance is zero).

If there were no universe in this place, then it extends over all time. This place is timeless, existing all at once. If there is any probability for creating a universe governed by an arbitrary set of rules, given an infinite amount of time that universe WILL be created (the probability will drop to 1:1). This means that every combination of every probable universe will spontaneously generate.

But what about conservation of energy? How can we have something out of nothing. Because the absolute energy of this place is defined at zero (what i like the call the cosmic zero), we can bend the rules by creating a universe of positive and negative energy. Or even an infinite number of positive energy and infinite number of negative energy universe's. The total energy remains zero, but the universe's can spontaneously create themselves and stick around for a while.

The only reason we perceive the universe the way we do is because any other combination of physical properties and laws would have lead to another universe. Its like the fish asking why there is water everywhere. The answer is: because if there was no water, there would be no fish.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by spiral

Its like the fish asking why there is water everywhere. The answer is: because if there was no water, there would be no fish.

------------------
There is more in heaven and Earth than can be dreamt of in your philosophy.

I do very much like that quote. and it goes:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

My biologist friend tells me that I am personally descended from a fish, and this fish did (as you suggest) often wonder why there was so much water all around. But he would not accept the explanation that it was because he, a fish, existed. This he found unsatisfactory, and he preferred to suppose that it came from the stars, which he could see twinkling wetly thru the water above him.

imagine a place outside of existence [with the following properties:]

ruled by only time and probability...conservation of energy...If there were no universe in this place, then it extends over all time...timeless, existing all at once...absolute energy of this place is defined at zero...

Yesterday upon the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there.

I saw him there again today
I wish I wish he'd go away.

The only reason we perceive the universe the way we do is because any other combination of physical properties and laws would have lead to another universe.

This is known as the anthropic principle.

The following theory is something I have been working on. It combines ideas of quantum mechanics to explain the possible source of all phenomena

If you want to avoid looking like a crackpot and wasting other members time, don't offer theories about physics you clearly don't understand.

In quantum mechanics we all know that there is always some probability that a particle entering a potential barrier has some probability to tunnel through that barrier. With barrier restrictions, anything becomes possible (although highly improbable).

Now imagine a place outside of existence ruled by only time and probability. In this place conservation of energy is also observed (total energy throughout existence/nonexistance is zero).

First of all, it sounds like you are describing the universe as a submanifold inside a larger (infinite) manifold. You have not justified the existence of this larger, infinite manifold/space to begin with.

Second, if there did exist a larger infinite space in which the earlier universe developed, then the Feynman path intergral formulation of quantum mechanics would mean that the possible paths would include every path through this infinite space, and we would have very different early quantum mechanics than would be if the Feynman paths are restricted to the size of the very early univserse.

Related to Theory of a Spontaneous Universe

What is the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe?

The Theory of a Spontaneous Universe is a scientific concept that proposes the universe came into existence without any external cause or influence. It suggests that the universe began from a state of nothingness and expanded rapidly, leading to the formation of matter, energy, and the laws of physics.

What evidence supports the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe?

The main evidence for this theory comes from observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is residual heat from the Big Bang. This radiation is evenly distributed throughout the universe, supporting the idea of rapid expansion from a single point. Additionally, studies of the distribution of galaxies and the abundance of elements in the universe also align with the predictions of the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe.

How does the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe differ from other theories of the universe's origin?

The Theory of a Spontaneous Universe differs from other theories, such as the Steady State or the Oscillating Universe, in that it suggests a one-time, spontaneous event rather than a continuous or cyclical process. It also does not require an external force or creator, unlike religious or creationist beliefs.

Is the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe widely accepted by the scientific community?

Yes, the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe, also known as the Big Bang Theory, is widely accepted by the scientific community as the most plausible explanation for the origin of the universe. It has significant support from various fields of study, including astronomy, cosmology, and physics.

Can the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe be proven?

While the Theory of a Spontaneous Universe is supported by a vast amount of evidence, it cannot be definitively proven as it is impossible to observe or recreate the exact conditions of the universe's origin. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology continue to provide further evidence and support for this theory.