Theory of Energy Output: An Overview

• Thread starter purkov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses different terms and concepts related to energy output and reactions. The term "exothermic reaction" is mentioned as a possible term to describe an action that produces more energy than is used to prepare. Other terms such as "perpetual motion machine" and "perpetual motion of the first kind" are also mentioned in the conversation. The context and type of energy source are important factors to consider when discussing energy output and reactions.
purkov
Therory of energy??

Greetings,
Is there a term or word to describe regarding energy output "an action which produces more energy than is used to prepare"

I don't have any background in physics so this is most likely an easy question for you to answer. Let me know if you need more info regarding my question and thank you for your help.

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to the forums :smile:

In chemistry the term exothermic reaction is used:
An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that is accompanied by the release of heat. In other words, the energy needed for the reaction to occur is less than the total energy released. As a result of this, the extra energy is released, usually in the form of heat.

One thing. It looks like the OP was asking the opposite.

Something that releases more energy than was put in is, if I remember correctly, a Perpetual Motion Machine of the First Kind, which is impossible, in which case another input of energy must be present, perhaps from the chemicals present in the reaction releasing some of their energy.

In nuclear fusion, they use exothermic too. But they're still shooting for "breakeven"

Whovian, the energy doesn't come from nowhere, it's stores as potential energy in the particle bonds.

Pythagorean said:
In nuclear fusion, they use exothermic too. But they're still shooting for "breakeven"

In a certain sense, these nuclear reactions aren't "break even," cos there's still a net loss of usable energy. The energy source is the nuclear fusion. :biggrin:

it's an economic statement. Just like I get "free energy" by taking my bike up an elevator so I can coast down a hill. It's only free to me.

Yes, context matters here. In thermodynamics, it could be perpetual motion/ a first law violation or it could just be a heat pump.

Whovian said:
in which case another input of energy must be present, perhaps from the chemicals present in the reaction releasing some of their energy.
Thats not input though that's part of the system. The system has stored energy, X energy is then applied which liberates >X energy. For example, taking a match to a barrel of oil. The input is the match.

By analogy with exothermic, I suggest exenthalpic or exergonic. There do appear to be prior usages.

Related to Theory of Energy Output: An Overview

1. What is the Theory of Energy Output?

The Theory of Energy Output is a scientific explanation of how energy is produced and transferred within a system. It describes the relationship between energy input, output, and efficiency in various forms of energy conversion, such as mechanical, thermal, and chemical processes.

2. How does the Theory of Energy Output apply to everyday life?

The Theory of Energy Output can be applied to everyday life in many ways. For example, it helps us understand how our bodies convert food into energy for daily activities, how our cars convert fuel into motion, and how power plants convert natural resources into electricity.

3. What are some key principles of the Theory of Energy Output?

There are a few key principles of the Theory of Energy Output, including the conservation of energy, the first and second laws of thermodynamics, and the concept of efficiency. These principles help explain how energy is always conserved, but can change forms and become less usable.

4. How does the Theory of Energy Output relate to other scientific theories?

The Theory of Energy Output is closely related to other scientific theories, such as the Theory of Relativity and the Laws of Motion. It provides a fundamental understanding of how energy is produced and utilized, which is essential in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. What are some current research and developments in the Theory of Energy Output?

There is ongoing research and development in the Theory of Energy Output, particularly in the field of renewable energy. Scientists are studying ways to improve energy conversion processes and increase efficiency, as well as exploring new sources of clean and sustainable energy. Additionally, there is research being done on the impact of energy production and consumption on the environment and ways to mitigate potential negative effects.