There are more than one center of mass for a n-particles system

In summary, the center of mass is a point such that all mass of a system is concentrated into that point. External forces act at that point.
ManishR
RCOM is a vector from an inertial frame to the point called the center of mass. The system behaves as if all the mass is concentrated at the center of mass and all the external forces act at that point. so

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{R}{}_{COM}=\frac{\sum m_{i}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{i}}}{\sum m_{i}}[/tex] ...[1]

or

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}(\overrightarrow{R}{}_{COM}+\overrightarrow{k})=\frac{\sum m_{i}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{i}}}{\sum m_{i}}[/tex]

so there are more than one center of mass for a system.

but if center of mass is

[tex]\overrightarrow{R}{}_{COM}=\frac{\sum m_{i}\overrightarrow{r_{i}}}{\sum m_{i}}[/tex] ...[2]

or there is unique center of mass for a system.

whats wrong here ? how did we reach from [1] to [2] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a unique center of mass. If you add a constant vector and then take a derivative, there is no difference in the result, since the derivative of a constant is zero.

I think it's more instructive to start at [2] and go to [1]. You can think of [2] as a definition.

mathman said:
There is a unique center of mass. If you add a constant vector and then take a derivative, there is no difference in the result, since the derivative of a constant is zero.

yes, but it means COM is not unique.

let say RCOM is the position vector of COM from inertial frame then from the same inertial frame a position vector = (RCOM vector + K vector) also satisfy the equation [1].
or
mathematically, differentiation of something is actually a function, so the "something" has more than one value not unique value.

JohnSimpson said:
I think it's more instructive to start at [2] and go to [1]. You can think of [2] as a definition.

the idea behind COM is that, it is a point such that all mass of system is concentrated into that point and the external forces that were acting on each particle of the system, act on that COM. so
F=ma
F = sum of all external forces
m = mass of system
a = acceleration of COM from an inertial frame

so, the position of RCOM is given by equation [1].

Equation [1] is what we have to start with, not equation [2]

however its equation [2] which tells us that there is unique COM.

ManishR said:
the idea behind COM is that, it is a point such that all mass of system is concentrated into that point and the external forces that were acting on each particle of the system, act on that COM. so
F=ma
F = sum of all external forces
m = mass of system
a = acceleration of COM from an inertial frame

so, the position of RCOM is given by equation [1].
I'd say that was incorrect. Equation [1] is not the defining equation for COM. If all you care about is acceleration, you can always add a constant to the COM and get the same acceleration. So what?

Your equation [2] is the definition of COM.

Doc Al said:
I'd say that was incorrect. Equation [1] is not the defining equation for COM. If all you care about is acceleration, you can always add a constant to the COM and get the same acceleration. So what?

Your equation [2] is the definition of COM.

yes that's the only explanation, but why ?

look jpg which is pg 116 of An Introduction to Mechanics by Daniel Kleppner, Robert J. Kolenkow

every point according to equation [1] will act as if all mass is concentrated into that point.
but it seems like in all those points we prefer a point which is defined by equation [2]
but i don't understand why ? its wrong too because equation [2] does not even account for external force. if there is no external force, equation [2] still says COM is unique but it should not be unique.

Attachments

• pg 116.JPG
    pg 116.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 373
ManishR said:
every point according to equation [1] will act as if all mass is concentrated into that point.
No. Equation [1] just deals with translational acceleration. It is insufficient to define a unique center of mass.

Say you wanted to find the balance point of a non-uniform beam. The COM (defined by equation [2]) answers that question. Adding an arbitrary constant won't work.

Doc Al said:
manishr said:
No.
consider a system and if there is a particle whose mass is equal to the mass of system and the force on it is equal to sum of all external force then the position vector R of that point is

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{R}=\frac{\sum m_{i}\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\overrightarrow{r_{i}}}{\sum m_{i}}[/tex]

Doc Al said:
Equation [1] just deals with translational acceleration.
No.

since mi is a point size particle so rotation of the point on its own axis is not possible. however the rotation of system on its own axis is possible and it is defined by equation [1]. so equation [1] deals with any kind of motion.
Doc Al said:
Say you wanted to find the balance point of a non-uniform beam. The COM (defined by equation [2]) answers that question. Adding an arbitrary constant won't work.
No.
thats different thing. COM is not a point which balance a body.

Related to There are more than one center of mass for a n-particles system

1. What is a center of mass?

A center of mass is a point in a system where the mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the total weight of the system can be thought to act.

2. How can there be more than one center of mass in a system?

In a system with multiple particles, each particle has its own center of mass. Therefore, a system with n-particles will have n centers of mass.

3. Can the centers of mass be at the same location?

Yes, it is possible for two or more particles to have the same center of mass. This can occur when the particles have equal mass or are arranged symmetrically in the system.

4. How is the center of mass calculated for a n-particles system?

The center of mass for a n-particles system is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of each particle, where the weight is the mass of the particle. This can be represented mathematically as:
Center of mass = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

5. Why is the concept of center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the overall motion and behavior of a system. It is also useful in calculations involving the motion, stability, and collisions of objects. In addition, the center of mass remains at a constant velocity when no external forces act on the system, making it a useful reference point for analyzing motion.

Back