There is a unique inductive set

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the unique inductive set is contained in each inductive set and the set $\bigcap B$ is the intersection of all elements in $B$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Nerd)

Sentence:

There is a unique inductive set that is contained in each inductive set.

Proof:

Let $A$ be an inductive set (we know that there is such a set from the axiom of infinity)

and we define:

$$B=\{ X \subset A: X \text{ is an inductive set}\}$$
($B$ is a set, because if $X \subset A$ where $X$ is an inductive set then $X \in \mathcal{P}(A)$. So, $B$ is a set.)

The set $B \neq \varnothing$ since $A \in B$. So, the set $\bigcup B$ is defined. We will show that $\bigcap B$ has the desired properties.

$\bigcup B$ is an inductive set
(from the Remark: Let $B$ be a nonempty set of inductive sets. Then $\bigcap B$ is an inductive set.)

We will show that $\bigcap B$ is contained in each inductive set.
Let $C$ be an inductive set. Then, from the Remark, the set $A \cap C$ is an inductive set and obviously $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C \subset C$.

It remains to show the uniqueness.
Let $c,d$ sets, so that each of them is contained in each inductive set.
Then $c \subset d$
and $d \subset c$, so $c=d$.Could you explain me how we concluded that $A \cap C$ is an inductive set and how that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C \subset C$ ? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The set $A \cap C$ is an inductive set, because $\{ A, C \}$ is a non-empty set of inductive sets and so $\bigcap \{ A, C \}=A \cap C$ is an inductive set, right?

But how do we conclude that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
The set $A \cap C$ is an inductive set, because $\{ A, C \}$ is a non-empty set of inductive sets and so $\bigcap \{ A, C \}=A \cap C$ is an inductive set, right?
Correct.

evinda said:
But how do we conclude that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$? (Thinking)

Note that $A \cap C \subset A$.

Siron said:
Note that $A \cap C \subset A$.

From this, we have that $A \cap C \in B$.
How can we conclude that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
From this, we have that $A \cap C \in B$.
How can we conclude that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$ ? (Thinking)

By definition $\bigcap B$ is the intersection of all elements in $B$. To formulate it less formally, it's the set that all elements in $B$ have in common. Thus all elements in $B$ contain $\bigcap B$. In particular, since $A \cap C \in B$ it has to contain $\bigcap B$.

Siron said:
By definition $\bigcap B$ is the intersection of all elements in $B$. To formulate it less formally, it's the set that all elements in $B$ have in common. Thus all elements in $B$ contain $\bigcap B$. In particular, since $A \cap C \in B$ it has to contain $\bigcap B$.

So, is it like that? (Thinking)

$$\forall x ( x \in \bigcap B \leftrightarrow (\forall b \in B) x \in b)$$

$$\forall x(x \in \bigcap B \leftrightarrow x \in A \cap C)$$

Yes.

Suppose $z \in \bigcap B$ then we have $\forall X \in B: z \in X$ by definition. As $A \cap C \in B$ we conclude $z \in A \cap C$, that is, we've proved $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$

Siron said:
Yes.

Suppose $z \in \bigcap B$ then we have $\forall X \in B: z \in X$ by definition. As $A \cap C \in B$ we conclude $z \in A \cap C$, that is, we've proved $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$

A ok... But I think that we cannot write it like that:

because that would mean that $\bigcap B=A \cap C$.
Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok... But I think that we cannot write it like that:

because that would mean that $\bigcap B=A \cap C$.
Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Indeed. I didn't notice that.

Having shown that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$ have we shown that $\bigcap B$ is contained in each inductive sets, since $A,C$ have been picked randomly and so $A \cap C$ is also an arbitrary set? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Having shown that $\bigcap B \subset A \cap C$ have we shown that $\bigcap B$ is contained in each inductive sets, since $A,C$ have been picked randomly and so $A \cap C$ is also an arbitrary set? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

You're correct. The inductive set $C$ was picked arbitrary and it was shown that $\bigcap B \subset C$. Hence, $\bigcap B$ is contained in every inductive set.

Siron said:
You're correct. The inductive set $C$ was picked arbitrary and it was shown that $\bigcap B \subset C$. Hence, $\bigcap B$ is contained in every inductive set.

I see, thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to There is a unique inductive set

What is an inductive set?

An inductive set is a set that satisfies the inductive principle, which states that if a set contains the number 0 and also contains the successor of any number in the set, then it must contain all natural numbers.

What makes a set unique inductive?

A unique inductive set is a set that is inductive and also contains no other inductive sets. This means that it is the only set that satisfies the inductive principle and contains all natural numbers.

How do you prove uniqueness of an inductive set?

The uniqueness of an inductive set can be proven through mathematical induction. This involves showing that the set contains the number 0, and that for any natural number n, if n is in the set, then the successor of n is also in the set. This proves that the set contains all natural numbers and is therefore unique.

What are some examples of unique inductive sets?

The set of natural numbers (0, 1, 2, 3, ...) is a common example of a unique inductive set. Other examples include the set of positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...) and the set of non-negative integers (0, 1, 2, ...).

Why is the concept of a unique inductive set important in mathematics?

The concept of a unique inductive set is important because it provides a foundation for the study of natural numbers and mathematical induction. It allows us to prove the existence and uniqueness of certain mathematical objects and properties. It also plays a crucial role in many mathematical proofs and constructions.