Therefore, at point (2, 17), the slope of the tangent is 18.

• Thread starter NoLimits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the slope of the tangent at a given point using the definition of the derivative. The attempt at a solution showed the process of finding the derivative at point (2, 17) and the resulting slope of 18.
NoLimits
Hello,

For this question I managed to find an answer but I am not sure if what the question means is to plug in the x-value and find the slope, or first find the derivative of the function, and THEN solve for the slope using f'(x)=10x+5h-2 (what I got for the derivative of the function). If someone could help explain the question I would appreciate it.

Homework Statement

For each function, use the definition of the derivative at a point to find the slope of the tangent at the indicated point.

Homework Equations

For point (2, 17): [tex]f(x) = 5x^2-2x+1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f'(x) = lim_h→0 \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[5(2+h)^2-2(2+h)+1]-[5(2)^2-2(2)+1]}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[5(4+4h+h^2)-4-2h+1]-[20-3]}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{20+20h+5h^2-3-2h-20-3}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 (18+5h)[/tex]
[tex]= 18 + 5(0)[/tex]
[tex]= 18[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
NoLimits said:
Hello,

For this question I managed to find an answer but I am not sure if what the question means is to plug in the x-value and find the slope, or first find the derivative of the function, and THEN solve for the slope using f'(x)=10x+5h-2 (what I got for the derivative of the function). If someone could help explain the question I would appreciate it.

Homework Statement

For each function, use the definition of the derivative at a point to find the slope of the tangent at the indicated point.

Homework Equations

For point (2, 17): [tex]f(x) = 5x^2-2x+1[/tex]
So f(2) = 5(2)2 - 2(2) + 1 = 20 - 4 + 1 = 17
NoLimits said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f'(x) = lim_h→0 \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[5(2+h)^2-2(2+h)+1]-[5(2)^2-2(2)+1]}{h}[/tex]
In the line above you aren't finding f'(x), which is implied by the line above it. What you are doing is finding f'(2). Your first equation should have been
$$f'(2) = lim_h→0 \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h} $$
NoLimits said:
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[5(4+4h+h^2)-4-2h+1]-[20-3]}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{20+20h+5h^2-3-2h-20-3}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 (18+5h)[/tex]
[tex]= 18 + 5(0)[/tex]
[tex]= 18[/tex]

Aside from what I already said, this looks fine. What your answer means is that at the point (2, 17), the slope of the tangent line is 18.

Related to Therefore, at point (2, 17), the slope of the tangent is 18.

What are derivatives and slopes?

Derivatives and slopes are concepts in calculus that describe the rate of change of a function at a specific point. The derivative is a measure of how much a function changes as its input changes, while the slope is a measure of the steepness of a line or curve at a specific point.

Why are derivatives and slopes important?

Derivatives and slopes are important because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and finance, to model and predict real-world phenomena.

How do you calculate derivatives and slopes?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the change in the function over a small change in its input. The slope of a line or curve can be calculated using the formula "rise over run", where the rise is the change in the output and the run is the change in the input.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous rates of change?

The average rate of change is the change in a function over a given interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is the change at a specific point. In other words, the average rate of change is like looking at the big picture, while the instantaneous rate of change is like zooming in to a specific moment.

How are derivatives and slopes used in real-world applications?

Derivatives and slopes have many real-world applications, such as determining the speed and acceleration of moving objects, finding maximum and minimum values of functions, optimizing production processes, and analyzing financial data to make investment decisions.