Therefore the voltage needs to drop by 42V for the light bulb to be 40 watts.

In summary, the light bulb has a resistance of 882 ohms and requires 40 watts of power. To find the voltage needed for this, we rearrange the equation P=(V^2)/R and solve for V, giving a voltage of 188 volts. To find the voltage drop, we subtract this from the original voltage of 230, resulting in a voltage drop of 42 volts.
Jarfi

Homework Statement

The light bulb is 60 watts at 230 volts, how much does the voltage need to drop for the lightbulb to be 40 watts'?

Homework Equations

V=IA, P=IV, P=IR^2, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 60w/230v=0,26A... 40w=0,26A*XV<->x=154V so voltage drop is 230-154=76.. I know the current drops with the voltage but this is all I can think of.nevermind, I found out... 40w=v^2/885ohms->> v^2=35400(ACCIDENTALLY DEVIDED) so V=188.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key to understanding this problem is to realize that the resistance is the same for both situations. After all its the same bulb.

Using the relevant equations...

P=I*V
and
V=I*R
You can write..
P=(V^2)/R
Then rearrange to give...
R=(V^2)/P

Then plug in the numbers giving...
R=(230^2)/60=882Ohms

Then using...
P=(V^2)/R
Rearrange to give..
V=SQRT(R*P)

Substitute the new numbers...
V=SQRT(882*40)
=188V

However the question asks how much does the voltage need to drop and that is...

230-188=42V

Related to Therefore the voltage needs to drop by 42V for the light bulb to be 40 watts.

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in electrical potential that occurs when an electrical current flows through a component or circuit.

2. How is voltage drop measured?

Voltage drop is typically measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

3. What causes voltage drop?

Voltage drop is caused by the resistance of a component or circuit. As the current flows through the resistance, some of the electrical energy is converted into heat, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

4. Why is voltage drop important to consider?

Voltage drop is important to consider because it can affect the performance and efficiency of a circuit. Excessive voltage drop can lead to decreased power output and potential damage to components.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger gauge wire, minimizing the length of the circuit, and reducing the resistance of components. Proper circuit design and regular maintenance can also help reduce voltage drop.