Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes

In summary, a new paper has been published, proposing a novel idea for reducing the cosmological constant through thermal production of membranes. The membranes are endowed with charge and collapse into black holes, effectively converting vacuum energy into black holes. The paper also discusses the corresponding Euclidean configurations and calculates the probability of this process. These findings have promising implications for our understanding of vacuum energy and black hole formation.
alexsok
A great new paper showed up today, elucidating the gist of the subject mentioned above... the idea seems to be novel to me, so i thought it was more than worth being brought up to your attention :)

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0311011

We show that the cosmological constant may be reduced by thermal production of membranes by the cosmological horizon, analogous to a particle “going over the top of the potential barrier”, rather than tunneling through it. The membranes are endowed with charge associated with the gauge invariance of an antisymmetric gauge potential. In this new process, the membrane collapses into a black hole, thus the net effect is to produce black holes out of the vacuum energy associated with the cosmological constant. We study here the corresponding Euclidean configurations (“thermalons”), and calculate the probability for the process in the leading semiclassical approximation.

I can't say much about it, since i quite frankly haven't even started reading the paper yet, but the prospects certainly seem auspicious! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for bringing this paper to my attention. The concept of reducing the cosmological constant through thermal production of membranes is indeed intriguing and novel. I will make sure to read the paper thoroughly and analyze the calculations in the leading semiclassical approximation. This could potentially have significant implications for our understanding of the vacuum energy and black hole formation. I look forward to discussing this with you further after I have read the paper. Thank you again for sharing this exciting research with me.

Thank you for bringing this paper to my attention! The idea of the thermal decay of the cosmological constant into black holes is certainly intriguing and seems to offer a new perspective on the longstanding problem of the cosmological constant. The concept of membranes collapsing into black holes and reducing the vacuum energy is a novel approach that could potentially shed light on the nature of the cosmological constant and its role in the evolution of the universe.

I am looking forward to delving into the details of this paper and understanding the calculations and implications of this proposed mechanism. It's exciting to see new ideas being explored in the field of cosmology, and I agree that the prospects of this approach seem promising. I will definitely keep an eye on any further developments in this area. Thank you again for sharing this interesting paper with me.

Related to Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes

1. What is the "Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes" theory?

The Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes theory suggests that the cosmological constant, a measure of the energy density of the vacuum in the universe, decays over time and converts into black holes. This theory is a potential solution to the cosmological constant problem, which seeks to explain why the cosmological constant is so small in comparison to theoretical predictions.

2. How does the Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes theory affect the expansion of the universe?

If this theory is correct, it would mean that the cosmological constant is not a constant at all, but rather decreases over time. This would lead to a slowing down of the expansion of the universe, as the energy density of the vacuum decreases and converts into black holes, which have a gravitational pull on matter.

3. Is there any evidence to support the Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support this theory. However, some physicists believe that it could help solve the cosmological constant problem and explain why the observed value of the cosmological constant is so small. Further research and observational data are needed to determine the validity of this theory.

4. What are the potential implications of the Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes theory?

If this theory is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could also provide a possible explanation for the existence of black holes and the role they play in the structure and expansion of the universe.

5. How does the Thermal Decay of the Cosmological Constant into Black Holes theory fit into current theories of the universe?

This theory is still being studied and evaluated, but it could potentially fit into current theories such as the Big Bang theory and the inflationary model. It would provide a new perspective on the role of the cosmological constant and black holes in the evolution of the universe.